• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Question for newb on NFA choice(s)

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
I have a question for those of you that have purchased NFA items, especially various items.

I'm ready to submit paperwork and wait the time. I have a class III dealer nearby, and I am going the route of a trust for all Class III I purchase. I have NO PARTICULAR need for anything class III, I just want to expand my collection and choices from the pedestrian pistol/rifles/shotguns. I do not have interest in full auto(mostly just cost prohibitive!)

** My initial thought(like many I know) was an AR platform 300BLK SBR with a can. not sure which of either yet, but you get the idea.

** I now heard my Class III is going to carry Benelli, so then my interest piqued for 14" Benelli M4. I have an 18" M4, and it's a complete hoot of a gun.

** My last thought was "just" getting a can for pistol(.45) and/or .22 rifle.(CZ 452)

I can't afford all of them at the same time, so that's not an option. So my question is, for those of you that have numerous class III items, what have you found the most joy from? What would be your idea of my wants above to start with? I'm hoping to complete each point above, year at a time. I have indoor and outdoor ranges at my convenient access. I can NOT shoot from my back porch.

I realize this is highly subjective, but maybe some of you have points I hadn't considered. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!

-G45

Re: Question for newb on NFA choice(s)

Like you said, the decision is very subjective, but I will pass along some of my personal experience.

Buying a can is like voluntarily becoming addicted to crack. I bought one thinking it would be enough, that didn't work. The downside is that every can you buy requires a new stamp and another 6 month wait.

I just finished my wait on an SBR in 5.56. For one registered lower, I can build as many uppers in as many different calibers I want. If you want to build a 300BLK gun, then you'll end up getting a suppressor anyway. A 5.56 SBR would benefit from a can, but it wouldn't be as "mandatory" as a 300BLK gun.

The SBS would be nice, and is the only one of the three I don't currently have. I can see it being the least addictive of the choices, but in my view, the least "idiot-grin" inducing as well.

That being said, if I were you, I would buy the can. It's going to give ya the most joy for the least pain (cash). Just be prepared to buy more after you get hooked.

I'm not sure this is fair because I'm a class 2 manufacturer and can have all of the above....I like them all. Machineguns are great fun and I get a lot of satisfaction turning a belt of ammo into steam and empty brass in a watercooled MG. Cannons and mortars are a lot of fun as well. Who wouldn't be smiling after shooting 3/4 lb of steel at .223 velocity and rocking a 1200 lb gun? Short barreled rifles and shotguns are ok but other than the lower prices of available items they really aren't any better than their longer counterparts. On the other hand a suppressed SBR does have some advantages. I'd have to say overall that the suppressors get my vote. Once you start you won't want to shoot without one. They make it easier to shoot more because they reduce the fatigue associated with the noise and also reduce the recoil substantially in most cases. You can buy a .338 cal can and run it on your .30 cal, 6mm, .223 and it will work pretty well on them too. The cost is much lower than a lot of the other NFA choices though the $200 tax to uncle sam makes it a bit painful.(thats where my FFL/SOT pays off big)
I have a .338 Lapua mag rifle that some think is too hot to shoot but with the suppressor installed its a pussycat. My wife shoots it without hesitation with the can installed because the noise is reduced and so is the recoil. She won't shoot it with the just the brake. I've run the same can on .308, 260 Rem, .338BR sub and supersonic and even on an M16 in .223. Sound reduction is amazing on all these cals so for a tight budget its possible to get one can that does them all. So I guess as a summary I'd say that suppressors are the most useful all-around and adaptable of the NFA stuff. AOW's exist as well but they're "out there" in most cases and are a bit of a niche.

Frank

In my humble opinion, the 22lr can is the most worthy use of your money.
You will find new joy in shooting the same guns you have always had by adding the suppressor.
You will find yourself inviting new shooters to shoot through the can and really enjoy the delight on their faces when they skeptically shoot without muffs for the first time and aren't greeted by their eardrums being pounded against one-another.
Or at least those are my experiences.
SBRs are fun; I really like the shorter barrels and find I don't have a use for the longer ones (ignoring the cost of the tax).
AOWs and SBSs are fun, too, in their own niches. The super shorty is quite a blast, but not my bag for skeet (my scores aren't that great, so I need any advantage I can get). Your mileage may vary, though. I have shot crows and pigeons with the 7" version, so it isn't entirely useless like some say. It is worth me having just because it is different.
MGs are very costly, to own and to shoot. If you have any doubts, either buy a MAC or just rent when you need to.
Just don't think one can will do it. You will most likely "need" more.

And enjoy. After all, you are a gun person because you like guns.

A can is useless without a something to put it on... SBR is overrated in the civilian community, again IMO. You already have an M4 style AR. The same rifle with a shorter barrel is a waste of your hard earned money, IMO... SBR is for tactical use, kicking in doors and clearing. Out of all the weapon systems I have been issued the one I shoot the most at home is a suppressed 20" .308 - look at the SR-25. not only can you shoot paper out to 800-1000 yards but you can hunt with it if you're int that... buy the rifle and then when you have enough dough buy a 30P-1 or it... if you thread your 5.56 you can use this can with that rifle as well

I guess it depends on you and what you enjoy shooting more; pistol or rifle. You mentioned a 45 can. There are several options here, with a 45 can you have the ability to shoot 40, 10mm, 9mm, etc if your a avid pistol shooter and your other pistols have threaded barrels. As far as a 300 BLK, you can go the route of a 308 or a 300wm can and then you have the ability to run this on other rifles as well as your 300BLK upper once you get it. So more (joy) usage will come from a can (in my opinion) due to you being able to run it on multiple calibers. A short barrel M2 would be cool but......

This is a great question and one that I probably should have asked early on and then really thought about before I started. Here are a couple of thoughts from me, but keep in mind it is highly subjective. Also in your case - it looks like you may have access to some of these toys through work and therefore are able to satiate yourself a bit or at least get enough time behind them to decide if it is something your really want to invest in.

Supressors - as has been said, they are generally regarded as the most fun thing to have since they really alter the shooting expirence. Most folks will say that after shooting with a suppressor they prefer not to shoot rifles without them, which is why many folks end up with more than one. Then somewhere along the way folks discover pistol and rimfire cans....

Therefore (and I wish I'd done better here) I think the best thing is to map out what supressors lend themselves well to double or even triple duty. For example a good 9mm can that may be taken apart to clean, sounds as good on a .22 as the best rimfire cans, works on 9mm and less CF pistols, and works on subsonic rifle - 300 Whisper / 300 Blackout. However, .45ACP doesn't sound that impressive on a .22LR, and a 9mm through a .45ACP sounds good, but not nearly as good as through a good 9mm can. In the case of SWR's Octane HD, the baffles are SS so they will withstand regular cleanings after shooting large quanties of .22LR. Kinda the same deal with CF rifle. If you choose an overbored, you can shoot sub calibers. However, if you choose a light weight (and reasonable physical size) overbore, you can practically use it in a run and gun capacity on an AR. Something like a Surefire 762K comes to mind here - 5.56 - .300WM, and only 3 oz heavier than their 5.56 (212 model).

SBS - I like them, but not enough to commit myself to the process.

SBR - it was said earlier that they were effectively lost in the hands of a civi - IMHO and to the contrary, they are great house guns, easier to be discreet with, in a word - handy. The most practical of these being a small frame AR. You can run several calibers off of it (pistol and rifle) and in the case of 300 Whisper / 300 Blackout - short is mandatory. I will say that not long ago I came into a MP5 clone SBR by trade - let's just say you better bring a lot of ammo, it is a riot to shoot. It is also more quiet with a can than a 9mm pistol.

FA - looks like fun, and conceptually I get it as an investment - but it isn't for me.

DDs - again, not for me.

The other thing that you ought to make room for - NV. Like I was saying about supressors, turning night into day, is a sensory / experience changing piece of gear. Combining them together is really something.

Just my thoughts, worth what you paid.

Good luck

Thank you everyone so far!! Keep 'em coming!

My first thought has been the SBR 300BLK <span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> a can for it. So both at one time.

I'm mostly a pistol shooter which is what had me ask this question to everyone, seeing if two cans for .45 and .22 or .45/9mm would be a route to go(figuring 9mm would work for 9 and .22.)

I very much like the double-duty aspect cans can provide.

Again, any other thoughts I welcome them. Not like this process is short, so I have time!
smile.gif

Thanks!

-G45

You better dedicate you .22 can for all of your .22 rifles and pistols. The lead will load up the internals and if you dare shoot .223 or other high powered centerfire cals out of it you will destroy your suppressor.

The 45 acp is killer quiet, but the .22 is far more versital. rifles, pistols, twice the fun.

Walther P22 (already ready to go), just need a threaded adapter
Ruger 10/22 , buy a factory twist drop in threaded barrel from Tactical Innovations

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you everyone so far!! Keep 'em coming!

My first thought has been the SBR 300BLK <span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> a can for it. So both at one time.

I'm mostly a pistol shooter which is what had me ask this question to everyone, seeing if two cans for .45 and .22 or .45/9mm would be a route to go(figuring 9mm would work for 9 and .22.)

I very much like the double-duty aspect cans can provide.

Again, any other thoughts I welcome them. Not like this process is short, so I have time!
smile.gif

Thanks!

-G45</div></div>

If you want a .300 blk than buy a 9mm can for it. Check with the manufacturer but they should allow the use of the 9mm can for the blackout. Its a pretty low pressure/low volume round that most 9mm cans can handle. That also allows you to use it on your pistols. I'd be careful using it on the .22 LR though. You'll get fouling buildup that can cause some problems if you fire a higher powered round through. Knocking off the leaded glass carbon fouling from the baffles can cause a baffle strike if any of the crap and the projo come together in the can.

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you want a .300 blk than buy a 9mm can for it. Check with the manufacturer but they should allow the use of the 9mm can for the blackout. Its a pretty low pressure/low volume round that most 9mm cans can handle. That also allows you to use it on your pistols. I'd be careful using it on the .22 LR though. You'll get fouling buildup that can cause some problems if you fire a higher powered round through. Knocking off the leaded glass carbon fouling from the baffles can cause a baffle strike if any of the crap and the projo come together in the can.

Frank </div></div>

Only do this ^ with SUBSONIC 300BLK. Pistol cans and supersonic 300BLK are not good bedfellows.

300blk subs will run in a 45 pistol can too...

granted I didn't read every line of the thread, but I'd say you want a 45 can and a 22 can

trust me about the .22 can, been there, done that

I have a nice collection of $200 stamps and if I had it to do all over again, I'd have stopped after my first .22 can.

You can try to justify a "one time" nfa purchase if you want, but the fact of the matter is that you will eventually be back for more.

The crack comparison has already been made, so believe it.

My opinion, is to SBR a rifle and pick up a 30 Cal can. It will have you covered for a few calibers to build off of. I wish I would have started there.

Most people recommend starting with a 22LR can for a reason. They are comparatively cheap, extremely quiet, and a good introduction to the NFA process without having thousands tied up for months at a time. Plus they are a hoot to use... A silenced bolt gun in 22 sounds like a Red Ryder BB gun.

My most fun/most used NFA's are dedicated 9mm SBR's built on DDLES lowers with TROS barrels. I shoot subsonic 147gr ammo, and it's "relatively quiet" even without a suppressor. Best quality/most accurate WW Ranger/LE T-series ammo can be found for great prices at SG Ammo and others. Dedicated 9mm SBR's are like "big 22's", and if I was starting over would be my first purchase.

Funny about the .30 cal can. My first was a Gemtech Thundertrap. It was used on a M16, Armalite AR-10, Sako TRG and a custom built, heace barrel "Frankstien" .243 then sold.
Then I went with caliber specific cans and spent too much for the same "bang".

Should of kept the Thundertrap and quit there, but Still, the .22 is my favorite today