• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns question for owners of springfield custom shop 1911's

cp3head

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
There are tons of posts for and against the Springfield Custom Shop and their work. I have owned a Springfield TRP in the past and thought that it was a fine pistol. I am now considering a Professional model or the Custom Carry model. For those of you that own one of these or have owned one of these, would you purchase one again? Any insight regarding these two pistols and your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AGAINST Springfield Custom? I've seen VERY few detractors. Have you checked over at 1911forum.com under the Springfield Armory forum?

brianenos guys could give you some solid advise. they have alot of seasoned handgun gurus as well

Hi OP,

I owned a trophy match for a while. Agree with Double-Edged. I have seen few people have any negative opinions of SA. I would pay attention to the source before formulating an opinion. A lot of us 1911 guys go the same way many of the people here go in terms of bolt action - custom vs. factory.

I used to do a bit of competing…not saying I am God's gift to shooters at all but I was pretty good. All my 1911s are Colt Mk4 Series 70. Some began life as a Gold Cup because of availability of the Govt model. We all get jaded at times. No different when the members here debate Bolt Action rifles.

It all comes down to what you will do and what you want to spend. A full bore custom from Ed Brown, Heinie or Wilson will cost 2X the SA. I though it was an awesome value.

Hope this helps…

BR,

Like the others have said, I do not think I have ever seen anything negative about SACS. I was planning to send my Range Officer to them pretty soon, so if there is any negative stuff out there I would like to read it.

Agreed, you may find some people that may not like Springfield factory guns or factory options but SACS is a complete custom shop and seperate from "factory" Springfield guns.

You would be well served going with a full SACS gun.

I would be Happy to take your TRP off your hands to fund your new purchase?

Thank you for all of the replies. I agree with you that Springfield makes a great product. Are there any features that I should be looking at for functionality versus aesthetics? If the Professional has all of the necessary features, is that the sure bet? I know that if other features are added then the custom carry is the candidate as it is my understanding that the Professional only comes one way. The pistol would be primarily for target shooting and maybe some competition.

the Pro is a very good hard use gun. really the only choice is rail or no rail and that is personal preference. since you are thinking of completing with it maybe sights of your choice.

MY pro is awesome and I am very happy with it.

not trying to discourage you but for your intended use a TRP is hard to beat.

I have sent in the following:
TRP Op for Threaded match barrel and action slick up.
TRP Op for action slick up (actually before it left them orignially)
Ultra Compact for a big list of items.

Pretty sure I am going to be pleased with the work performed from past items not including these more recent one's. I will follow up as my Ultra should be here in the next day or so!