• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing question for savage owners.

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Ok savage guys heres my dilema.I have a savage 10 and the ejection seems a little weak.I also own a very old remmy 700-300mag.The ejection on is with authority it slings emptys 3 feet or better.
The savage ejects ok but really just drops them out of the ejection port.The savage has done this from the time it was new.
Is this normal?And is there anyway to make the ejection more forcefull.

Re: question for savage owners.

Midway sells the ejector, spring and detent ball that you need. It'll cost you about $6 in parts and you can swap the parts out in less then 5 minutes.

Mine doesn't eject as I ordered a right hand bolt head from midway and I get a left hand one! Saves my brass though...

Try disassembling the bolt head and cleaning the moving parts of the ejector, putting it back together and trying again.

It might be dirty, but I'm thinking there's probably a burr or something if it did it since new. If you find a burr, clean it up and try again.

Then try replacing the $6 in parts (and $5 small order fee and $8 for shipping from Midway)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try disassembling the bolt head and cleaning the moving parts of the ejector, putting it back together and trying again.

It might be dirty, but I'm thinking there's probably a burr or something if it did it since new. If you find a burr, clean it up and try again.

Then try replacing the $6 in parts (and $5 small order fee and $8 for shipping from Midway) </div></div>

I will give this a try right now.I will let you know how it goes...

Just found the problem.You were right bohem there was a small burr on the backside of the extractor itself.I filed it off and put it back together now it ejects as it should.
Its still not on par with the remmy.but it is a 100% better than it was thanks man.......

replace the springs you may get a little more distance then again you may not but it never hurt to replace springs.
hmmm i wonder if wolff make springs for this
nope they dont

I replaced the ball in my 12ftr after a kinda hot load made it disappear. (McMaster Carr 7/64" chrome ball, about 3.50-4.00 per 100)
The spring appears to be a standard gardner style, which they carry too.
Check the od, wire size, free length, and compressed length.
Keeping the free length the same, but increasing the wire diameter will give more tension.
The pusher pin spring also plays into your question.
If you can find stronger spring with same comp length, it might help.
I flip shells in the tray by choice.
Hope the kinda helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found the problem.You were right bohem there was a small burr on the backside of the extractor itself.I filed it off and put it back together now it ejects as it should.
Its still not on par with the remmy.but it is a 100% better than it was thanks man....... </div></div>

No problem, glad you got it sorted.
smile.gif

Give some thought to how this happened in the first place.

If this always happened from NIB, the part was faulty.

If not, something caused it; and it might pay to identify this cause and avoid it in future.

On my rifles, this has been a typical result of a blown primer. At first, I would clean the bolt and/or replace the ejector bits. Some time later, I recognized that bandaids are not a cure, and addressed the problem of the blown primers.

Later yet, I realized that my handloads were only being singly fed anyway and chasing all over creation for my empties only resulted in extra work and dirtier brass, so I removed the ejector completely. Now the cases extract neatly and lay in the action awaiting easy retrieval and replacement with another live round.

Greg

Whats the problem? If it's ejecting the brass at your feet, at least your not having to hunt for it.

Greg-

I'm pretty sure he said it happened from the time it was new, there was a burr on the plunger. It was removed and now it works handily.