• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question for SB 5-25 Owners

Graham

Generalissimo
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
Has anyone experienced this:

Some of you have been following my recent SB questions regarding some recently acquired SBs. Well, I just got a new SB 5-25, and between 10x and 25x I can't get to a place behind the eyebox where I get a full circle image: When the bottom rim of the image is clear I can't see the top rim of the image; and when I look through it in such a way as to see the top edge of the image, the middle greys-out.

This is not the best pic, but it gives you an idea of what I see when look through the scope (without the slight lateral cant that is present in this image):
IMG_3911.jpg

Re: Question for SB 5-25 Owners

Hi Graham,
The first thing I would do is check to make sure the erector is not way off center. When I worked on S&B's we would set the scope to opical center then put the dial on halfway through the travel, then turn the dial down to 0.
If you have the dial at 0 then you might have the erector canted in the tube which would cause the issue you are experiencing. Dial up on the elevation to about 14 mils and see if it goes away.
Hopefully Jerry R or someone else will chime in, but this is what I would try first.
Thanks,
Paul

Thanks. I'll try that. I assumed it was at optical center from the factory because it had over 14 mils of elevation on the turret, but I suppose I should never assume...

Looking on pg 9 of the S&B operating instrution manual it says "At the Schmidt & Bender factory the recticles of PMII scopes are adjusted out of center by half the amount of the full elevation range." So the S&B does not ship with the recticle centered.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking on pg 9 of the S&B operating instrution manual it says "At the Schmidt & Bender factory the recticles of PMII scopes are adjusted out of center by half the amount of the full elevation range." So the S&B does not ship with the recticle centered.</div></div>Believe Paul. But don't believe everything you read.
IMG_3913.jpg

oldfatguy, have you ever seen on your SB 5-25 what I described?

I think I should clarify what I am saying.

The S&B is optically centered from the factory, but that is not zero on the dial. Optical center is 1/2 of the maximum dial value. So, if your dial has 30 mils on it, you would need to turn it up from 0 to 15 mils and then it would be centered and thus, the erector in the center of the tube and the shading should go away. The windage should be set on 0 and that should have been set in the center- left to right- from the factory also.
I hope it is as simple a fix as that for you.
Thanks,
Paul

Graham,

I just took the rifle out of the safe and had a look. With my eyes I do have a bit of a challange to find a sweet spot in the eyebox where I can get a clear, distortion free view of the entire reticle. The best I seem to be able to manage leaves a bit of "distortion" at the top edge from 10:00 to 2:00. Not very thick, really just at the edge. But while I am looking at the edges I am not looking at the cross hairs.

When I got my PMII 5-25 MSR a month age I really didn't do anything in the way of testing. Just mounted it (Rem 5R 308 , 20 MOA Badger base & Badger rings) and went to the range to zero. Other then that I've not shot it.

However today I did "find" something I wasn't expecting at 5x. I expected to see the famous S&B tunneling. But, what I saw wasn't the tunnel but a black ring around the reticle with a bit of space between it and the edge of the field.

Interesting, but since I spend almost all my time concentrating on the cross hairs I consider the ring no more then just interesting.

Scope view 5x ring by redtroll, on Flickr
OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
However today I did "find" something I wasn't expecting at 5x. I expected to see the famous S&B tunneling. But, what I saw wasn't the tunnel but a black ring around the reticle with a bit of space between it and the edge of the field.
</div></div>

I believe that's the tunneling they're talking about. Could be wrong though.

Oh wait, I just checked out that pic, and I don't know what the hell that is, lol.

Just part of the tunneling. Video of mine from 7x down to 5x and it's there. Nothing to get concerned about.

Graham I haven't gotten a chance to check my scopes to see about your issue yet but will when i can.

Graham,

I recently picked up my first S&B 5-25 and haven't noticed the issue you're describing.

As for the tunneling... it seems completely pointless to dial this scope below 7 power. The FOV doesn't increase at all when going from 7 power down to 5 power, although the image definitely gets smaller.

Rob,

Excellent video of the tunneling and I agree that there really isn't any problem.

As for edge clarity...I found that it improves if I clean my glasses.

OFG

have you mounted it on a rifle and tried it?

i just see the scope sitting on a table in the picture above

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone experienced this:

Some of you have been following my recent SB questions regarding some recently acquired SBs. Well, I just got a new SB 5-25, and between 10x and 25x I can't get to a place behind the eyebox where I get a full circle image: When the bottom rim of the image is clear I can't see the top rim of the image; and when I look through it in such a way as to see the top edge of the image, the middle greys-out.

This is not the best pic, but it gives you an idea of what I see when look through the scope (without the slight lateral cant that is present in this image):
IMG_3911.jpg
</div></div>

Graham, I think you need to get your eye directly behind the scope and lined up, the haze will go away if you line up correctly. I can make mine do it by being off to one side or the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham,

I just took the rifle out of the safe and had a look. With my eyes I do have a bit of a challange to find a sweet spot in the eyebox where I can get a clear, distortion free view of the entire reticle. The best I seem to be able to manage leaves a bit of "distortion" at the top edge from 10:00 to 2:00. Not very thick, really just at the edge. But while I am looking at the edges I am not looking at the cross hairs.

When I got my PMII 5-25 MSR a month age I really didn't do anything in the way of testing. Just mounted it (Rem 5R 308 , 20 MOA Badger base & Badger rings) and went to the range to zero. Other then that I've not shot it.

Interesting, but since I spend almost all my time concentrating on the cross hairs I consider the ring no more then just interesting.

Scope view 5x ring by redtroll, on Flickr
OFG

</div></div>

OFG, Adjust your eye relief. If you move the scope closer to your head the ring will go away. I can make my scope do that by moving my head away from the scope.