• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for Secret Squirrel electronics guys

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Just saw a product called LokSak that says it provides RF protection. The ad says it can prevent personal information from being electronically lifted from credit cards, id cards, whatever that happens to be in a wallet. I'd don't know what this LokSak is made of but I'm wondering if aluminium foil would do the same thing?

Now I know if I wear aluminum foil on my head, it will prevent the aliens and the government from being able to beam thoughts into my head. But seriously, would a thin piece of aluminum foil prevent anyone from being able to covertly scan credit cards in your wallet? Presupposing they <span style="font-style: italic">can</span>?

Re: Question for Secret Squirrel electronics guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw a product called LokSak that says it provides RF protection. The ad says it can prevent personal information from being electronically lifted from credit cards, id cards, whatever that happens to be in a wallet. I'd don't know what this LokSak is made of but I'm wondering if aluminium foil would do the same thing?

Now I know if I wear aluminum foil on my head, it will prevent the aliens and the government from being able to beam thoughts into my head. But seriously, would a thin piece of aluminum foil prevent anyone from being able to covertly scan credit cards in your wallet? Presupposing they <span style="font-style: italic">can</span>? </div></div>

I dont know if the technology exists to read your stuff from remote. If it does this might help, but to no avail if the cops or someone actually get their hands on your gear.

As to the odor bags, Id bet they are just a variation of the Turkey Roasting bags they sell at the grocery.

SHIELDSAK

The SHIELDSAK consists of a flexible R.F. shield fabric pouch with R.F. shield Velcro closure that will not allow data scans by blocking electronic signals from reaching data transponders.

Identity theft is easier than ever with the new addition of embedded electronic data chips in passports and credit cards. Even the chips in mobile phones store pertinent information. Now you can be certain information is scanned only by legitimate authorities. Protect yourself, your identity and your safety with SHIELDSAK. SHIELDSAK fits neatly into our ALOKSAK 4 X 7 for complete protection from all elements.

If it has an RFID tag it can be read by remote, your standard credit card cannot (no RFID). The new passports have RFID tags, not sure if they changed it back though.

I don't know about that specific product, but it sounds to be a Faraday cage, which does attenuate EM. I.e. no more remote reading RFID tags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it has an RFID tag it can be read by remote, your standard credit card cannot (no RFID). The new passports have RFID tags, not sure if they changed it back though.

I don't know about that specific product, but it sounds to be a Faraday cage, which does attenuate EM. I.e. no more remote reading RFID tags. </div></div>

Exactly.

Except hte new credit cards do contain RFID, *and* there are readers that can detect this stuff up to 75 feet away while you are walking your kids in the park - find it on youtube how to build it. Several questions on Information Security certification were about this.

Faraday cage or shielding for the wallet, 1/4" or 1/8" copper mesh.

I've been in Faraday cages, very effective. Actually used one to align some equipment back in my first four years of Army time - MI..

(33s was my first MOS)

Yeah though only a few cards are issued with the RFID though; Blink, ExpressPay, PayPass probably a few more.

An ESD shielding bag (the shiny silver-colored plastic like circuit cards ship in) will work fine.

Edit: Some will and some won't. After replying to a question, I took my own advice and tested them by wrapping my cell phone and calling it. The 3M branded bags don't block RF very well, but some other unbranded ones I have do an excellent job.

Guess the best advice is to use you cell to test any material for it's suitability to block RF energy.