• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for shooting subsonic long range 🙂

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Hey Boys!
    I’ve got an inkling for building a subsonic long range bolt gun. I’ve never had more fun with my clothes on than when shooting steel at 500yds subsonic suppressed.

With reloading components being what they are “expensive,” I’m looking at building a 300 blackout.

Has anyone here been able to keep subsonic match projectiles under 1 moa, and out past 500yds?

Thanks so much for your time, and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited:
    I’d never considered this. That would be cool. I’m watching....

My question would be why? A 300blk subsonic 220smk right at 1000fps drops 378in @ 500yd needing 21mils of elevation. At 600yd, drop jumps to 580in and 27mil. Now the question of holding sub 1moa consistently...doubt it.

I have shot supers at 500m very consistently out of my 10.5" 300blk.. Sierra 125 TMK @ 2150 with 112in of drop and submoa consistent accuracy.

My question would be why? A 300blk subsonic 220smk right at 1000fps drops 378in @ 500yd needing 21mils of elevation. At 600yd, drop jumps to 580in and 27mil. Now the question of holding sub 1moa consistently...doubt it.

I have shot supers at 500m very consistently out of my 10.5" 300blk.. Sierra 125 TMK @ 2150 with 112in of drop and submoa consistent accuracy.
    Why is a good question. I suppose it’s the challenge of it.
    I’ve shot F-class for over 10 years, and a fast 6mm or 6.5 loading make the work fairly easy and consistent.

My brother bought a 45-70 Sharpes rifle and is having a blast shooting long range with irons. While that’s not my interest, shooting a subsonic projectile in similar fashion from a bolt gun does appeal as a fun challenge.

Why is a good question. I suppose it’s the challenge of it.
    I’ve shot F-class for over 10 years, and the 6.5 loading make the work fairly easy and consistent.

My brother bought a 45-70 Sharpes rifle and is having a blast shooting long range with irons. While that’s not my interest, shooting a subsonic projectile in similar fashion from a bolt gun does appeal as a fun challenge.

I left out one part in my previous reply and that would be the only reason I could see doing this is simply for fun. And thats exactly why so have at it. I just wouldnt expect consistent submoa accuracy but who knows with the right load, gun and weather conditions.

But hey it could be totally possible. I regularly shoot my 22LR bolt gun to 300, 400 and 500yd. Thats subsonic with a MUCH smaller, lighter bullet and I can hold submoa pretty consistently at 300 and 400yd and its fun as hell. 303in drop and 21mil elevation @ 400yd.

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    I had an AAC-SD 700 I played with at 300 with subs. I couldn't get the subs to shoot 1MOA consistently at all. Not even close. I tried the 220gr sierras, 208 Hornady's and a 209gr cast loads. They were all over the place.

The same rifle shooting 150gr supers was significantly better. I'm not sure how it'd do with a nice barrel, but it's not a project I'd throw a bunch of money at. I think getting consistent velocity is going to be a huge pain in the ass and with the trajectory you're looking at with subs it's going to tough to make work.

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    I have been doin sub 300blk out to 500 for awhile now. Honestly it’s mostly a giggle gun I shoot at steel at the end of a range day. I had a 16 in varmint barrel spun for my origin. It’s fun shooting rainbow trajectory with a silly long time of flight lol. Off the top of my head it was like 11.4 mils at 300 lol. It’s definitely fun to mess with. Load development was easy with relatively good SD. I usually stay in the 180gr range of bullet as they are easier to find and people are always dumping them in the px. Last batch of 200gr I did hovered under .75 at 100 when I grouped them sooo not really “match” lol.
    Everything I have loaded up for my bolt I load for my mcx too so it’s multi use. Kids and wife really get a kick out of it.
    Best of luck and you should definitely look into it.

Attachments

• DCF56BEA-FD26-4733-84D3-EBE313F05216.jpeg
      DCF56BEA-FD26-4733-84D3-EBE313F05216.jpeg
      729.9 KB · Views: 23
    I had an AAC-SD 700 I played with at 300 with subs. I couldn't get the subs to shoot 1MOA consistently at all. Not even close. I tried the 220gr sierras, 208 Hornady's and a 209gr cast loads. They were all over the place.

The same rifle shooting 150gr supers was significantly better. I'm not sure how it'd do with a nice barrel, but it's not a project I'd throw a bunch of money at. I think getting consistent velocity is going to be a huge pain in the ass and with the trajectory you're looking at with subs it's going to tough to make work.
    Was that one of the infamous aacsd blackouts marked with a 7 twist barrel but in reality was actually only a 10 twist?

Last edited:
    Was that one of the infamous aacsd blackouts marked with a 7 twist barrel but in relating was actually only a 10 twist?

Could be. Never checked... I kind of took Remington's word for it. I loaded up a bunch of 150gr subsonics with unique and it wasn't really any better so I don't know. I just sold it to another guy here on the hide. I told him accuracy with subs wasn't very good but he said he was going to use it with a can to take out critters in the yard without spooking his neighbors horses and wasn't worried about great accuracy.

Reactions: spife7980