• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for the 40x Gurus

KaiserNorton

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've an older CMP 40x (with the 722 style handle)- I'm thinking it has the light contour barrel. Can someone tell what diameter it should be compared to the heavy contour? It came with the redfield sight, which are a real hoot, though I may put a scope on it to see just how accurate it really is (it does quite well with the aperatures, but my eyes aren't getting any younger.....).

Also, my trigger has a real tight radius in it, quite unlike any in the photos that I've seen - were aftermarket units used on these guns? I ask this as sometimes, if I pull the bolt back with too much force, it'll come right out of the action without using the bolt release - I'm thinking this is NOT normal.....

Thanks,

The Kaiser

Re: Question for the 40x Gurus

I will take a venture at the bolt pulling out.

I had a AICS 2.0 several years ago.

The bolt release spring would bind sometimes on it after reinserting it from cleaning. The bolt stop would not engage at all. I would have to pull the barreled action out of it to get the spring unbound.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Wish I could help on the 40X contour question.

I was never lucky enough to buy one for $250 when they sell them.

I can tell you that my heavy contour barrel measures .880 inch at the muzzle

Barrel diameter on the standard is .750. Heavy barrel is .900.

722 style 40-X should use the 722 style bolt release I think. A little spring inserted @ rear of bolt release. Not like the long one used on a 700. Check to see if the spring is even there and if it is in the recessed hole and other end on bolt release.

Everyone is correct and also the forward trigger pin can be inserted to far and will cause the bolt stop to bind. Another thing is these old guns are sometimes full of old oils and grease; these will harden into a varnish like material. Acetone will clean all the junk out if you let it soak for a few hours and air blow dry and relube. You'll have to show a picture of the trigger assembly before I would guess as two which trigger is in your rifle.

Well, it is definitely the light contour barrel, .75 diameter.
I guess I could have offered more info in regards to the bolt stop issue (I was at work, didn't have much time before I had to "get to it"). It could be a spring issue, or the build up of aged gunk, or both - I can't move the bolt stop button at all. When I operate the bolt, it stops fine until I pull it back sharply, then it overrides the stop and I'm left holding it out of the rifle. I should take the gun apart to ispect/fix this issue, but haven't had time yet. Plus, I'm hesitant to mess with it's bedding, as it shoot quite good - even with cheap Remington hollow points.

I'll have to scrounge up my digital camera, and post a photo or two.

Thanks, Gentlemen.

The Kaiser