• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question for the gunsmiths

Heretic

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2011
Las Vegas
For my bolt action rifles:

I've had some rifles free floated and noticed an improvement. I've also had some stocks bedded and noticed and improvement.
I've also had some bedded and floated and noticed an improvement.

But recently I find myself speaking/listening to people about changing the hand guards on their AR platform rifles from Delta ring/FSB to Gas Block/free float tubes.

Please enlighten me. Wouldn't the gas block around the barrel, the gas tube running into the upper and contacting the gas key negate any benefit from adding a free float tube?

I have several ARs and some have FF tube, some have MOE furniture, some have sight bases and some have gas blocks. But the all are gas operated.

Is there a benefit to adding a FF hang guard?

Thanks!

Re: Question for the gunsmiths

Yes, run a FF tube. The biggest benifit is if your slung up shooting an AR type rifle.

Re: Question for the gunsmiths

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heretic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the gas block around the barrel, the gas tube running into the upper and contacting the gas key negate any benefit from adding a free float tube?</div></div>

The gas tube junction into the gas key on the carrier is only a slip fit so there is no motion transmitted to the barrel via the bolt carrier movement.
The barrel will whip up and down the the gas tube will slide in and out of the carrier as need be before the carrier starts moving rearward after the bullet passes the gas port.

Here is my handy write-up on the AR-15 gas system:
www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml