• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for the guys using switch barrells

Cigarcop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
Pottstown, Pa
I'm contemplating getting another barrel for a .338 Norma Mag I have in .338 LM to save some space in the safe. With using the same scope between the two is it a pain in the ass keeping track of settings for each?

And in hind sight would you have just built a second rifle instead?

I appreciate your thoughts and I'm not against just building another .338LM altogether!!!

Re: Question for the guys using switch barrells

I have a swithc barrel Savage - 223 with bolt and a 6mmBR with a bolt. Idea is great, but I would not do it again.

I vote for getting dedicated guns for each barrel.

As for as keeping track of your sight settings between barrels, you could right down the zero settings per barrel on a small card, then lamenate it and leave it with the scope just like the guys do with any other sight adjustments for range and elevation. As you move the scope from one barrel to the next you change the zero's as well. If it is a good quality scope that repeats on tracking it should work I would think.

I just had a switch barrel built recently. If I had it to do over again I would have just built two rifles. I didn't think it would bother me switching barrels and dialing scope, but it does. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had a switch barrel built recently. If I had it to do over again I would have just built two rifles. I didn't think it would bother me switching barrels and dialing scope, but it does. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Eddie </div></div>

I'm thinking this will end up being my opinion too.

So...to plan "B"

You could go ahead and build it. If you don't like it you are only out the price of the vice and wrench($100). Then you could just use your other barrel for the next build.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could go ahead and build it. If you don't like it you are only out the price of the vice and wrench($100). Then you could just use your other barrel for the next build.

Eddie </div></div>

I actually have everything for switching them, but if I did a build it would be on a Surgeon action instead of the M2008 I have now on the Norma now so the threading would be different.

$900 stock (w' bedding)
$1300 action
$350 trigger
$1600 scope

Hell yeah, I'll be sticking with my switch barrel. What a waste of cash to purchase these things over again just because its "inconvenient" to re-zero my scope.

I'm going to (slightly) hijack this thread, and ask a related question. For those of you that already have a switch-barrel rifle, do you actually <span style="font-style: italic">use</span> the second barrel? Or, do you find yourself normally just shooting one barrel?

It's been my experience that the main reason for building a switch barrel rifle is to change calibers. Small and large. Each barrel/caliber purpose built. Another reason is if you know your current barrel is getting tired and will in all likelyhood lay down on you the next shooting season,in the off season, have a new barrel screwed on, tuned up and ready to go.

My hunting rifles are 308/243. 308 for elk. 243 for everything else. Definitely use them both: but 243 gets used much more often.

I have a switch barrel and my thinking behind it is. I have a 19 inch 308 tube that is my just shooting and local match tube, then my 260 tube will be for the bigger matches and longer distances.

How would this question apply to systems designed around an easy quick caliber change? SRS, AW, etc
Me thinks, keep accurate data cards and buy one optic saving funds for ammo in both calibers=more trigger time, easier storage and transport, become proficient/comfortable on that chassis, one bipod, etc etc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPERS4DUMMIES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would this question apply to systems designed around an easy quick caliber change? SRS, AW, etc
Me thinks, keep accurate data cards and buy one optic saving funds for ammo in both calibers=more trigger time, easier storage and transport, become proficient/comfortable on that chassis, one bipod, etc etc</div></div>

I had an SRS and the conclusion I eventually came to was that, while the SRS quick change worked great and was every bit as easy as it looks in the youtube videos, I personally didn't have a need to swap around calibers that quickly. 10 minutes in the garage with a barrel vise before heading to the range was just as effective for my purposes and didn't incur all the expense/hassle of getting an oddball barrel made up (as compared to a run of the mill 700 thread/sendero profile type)

I'm just saying a proficient change barrel/caliber system seems more practical and economically feasible...just my 02 cents