• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for the guys with experience in .22 cal projectiles....

Shayne Ward

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2021
Ft. Worth
I have been running a .223 AI with a 88 ELDM over 26.2gr of Varget at about 2940 fps for about a year now. I am almost out of the ELDM's and wanted to know others experience with that Bullet vs the Berger Hybrids in 85.5 or even the 80.5gr. I shoot this rifle PRS style as practice and local club matches out to 800yds on the regular. We do get some 1000-1100 yard mixed in from time to time. I hear the 85.5 is better for what I am doing?? Does anyone have the Applied Ballistics app that could run hit probability on those different bullets for me or have first hand experience shooting all of them? I enjoy shooting the rifle and its fairly cheap when you factor in barrel life so I dont mind spending a little extra for the Bergers if its a upgrade. The Bergers were nowhere to be found when I worked up this load originally. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure you'll see any real benefit,

The 88s are a tick heavier with a very small gain in BC, but the lighter bullet will give you a touch more speed, so that will probably be a wash at the end of the day.

I would almost say, focus on what you have started, learn the characteristics of that dynamic rather than chase a new one with only small changes between the two.

What I would suggest, get a box of 85.5s, load them up and see, cause why not, proof is always in the pudding

I am not sure you'll see any real benefit,

The 88s are a tick heavier with a very small gain in BC, but the lighter bullet will give you a touch more speed, so that will probably be a wash at the end of the day.

I would almost say, focus on what you have started, learn the characteristics of that dynamic rather than chase a new one with only small changes between the two.

What I would suggest, get a box of 85.5s, load them up and see, cause why not, proof is always in the pudding
That was kinda my thoughts but part of the fun is tinkering with these. The gun flat out shoots the 88s but I wondered if the Bergers wouldnt be better at distance. Really the only issue I have had with the gun is spotters actually calling impacts. Everyone runs binoculars these days and what i see at 20 power on the gun and what they see at 10 becomes a discussion lol. A local guy was telling me that he calculated more (cant think of the right phrase) power on target with the 85.5 and gained I think he said 40 FPS. I appreciate the reply!

I spoke with Emil from Berger/Lapua about the 85.5s, and there is some new movement in them. They are pointing them differently and I am not sure the technical data matches the new improvements. We discussed this last month at the Expo that Berger was working on them.

There is definitely a difference when you look at the two, I like the Bergers better, so in my mind, they are worth testing. But where you fall on that becomes the question.

It is fun, and I do like the Bergers.
The spotting dilemma is real, not much you can do but add in speed that seems to fix it a bit, but 2950 vs 3000 might not be big enough to matter

Yes sir I agree and I already feel like I am being pretty hard on the brass... Thanks again!

I was there at the Expo too. I wanted to come shake your hand but every time I saw you it was bad timing. I knew you were busy.. You look a lot taller on Youtube ;) lol sorry I had too... I will take my ban like a man! lol

I spoke with Emil from Berger/Lapua about the 85.5s, and there is some new movement in them. They are pointing them differently and I am not sure the technical data matches the new improvements. We discussed this last month at the Expo that Berger was working on them.

There is definitely a difference when you look at the two, I like the Bergers better, so in my mind, they are worth testing. But where you fall on that becomes the question.

It is fun, and I do like the Bergers.
The spotting dilemma is real, not much you can do but add in speed that seems to fix it a bit, but 2950 vs 3000 might not be big enough to matter

Frank are they going for a higher BC on the 85.5's or something different with the new pointing?