• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for those running a LabRadar above the rifle (on a tripod or quad-pod)…

Conqueror

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
North Central FL
I have been running my radar on a mini tripod next to my rifle, but on large magnums it has been difficult to find a spot where the brake does not interfere with bullet detection and I have been getting a lot of failed detections. I grabbed a quad pod which I think will solve the problem. But I’m wondering what offset settings you guys are running, and whether or not you have found an ideal or maximum height of the radar unit above the rifle?

If I can piggyback, years ago I used a labradar in the field and I swear the instructor put it on a tripod upside down so it was hanging from the center column. I doubt it was just swinging on a hook though - how does one achieve this or is just mounting it to the top good enough with tripods these days?

I’ve been running one of these triggers with an old Manfrotto tripod:

C2CE82EE-FBEF-48CF-A1B7-1674E357B561.jpeg

I stole this idea from a fellow shooter on the range who uses this set up with an AI ELR 50BMG:

964ACD9D-369B-4FF2-8487-681951EC4DFA.jpeg

Reactions: 6.5SH
I have been running my radar on a mini tripod next to my rifle, but on large magnums it has been difficult to find a spot where the brake does not interfere with bullet detection and I have been getting a lot of failed detections. I grabbed a quad pod which I think will solve the problem. But I’m wondering what offset settings you guys are running, and whether or not you have found an ideal or maximum height of the radar unit above the rifle?
I bought a 10' section of 1 1/4" Schedule 40 PVC conduit and cut it into 4x 30" pieces.
I use a recoil trigger and will set the offset to 12 or 18 inches as needed based on the height of the rifle (mostly 12").
With proper aim to the target tracking has been flawless for me.

TIP: If using an external battery pack, secure it to the radar or the mount with velcro or straps etc. It falling is a great way to damage the the USB port or cable.

If I can piggyback, years ago I used a labradar in the field and I swear the instructor put it on a tripod upside down so it was hanging from the center column. I doubt it was just swinging on a hook though - how does one achieve this or is just mounting it to the top good enough with tripods these days?
he reversed the center column or there was a 1/4-20 thread to mount a clamp on the bottom

he reversed the center column or there was a 1/4-20 thread to mount a clamp on the bottom
Wonder how to do something like that with the Anvil 30 on my TVC-33 🤔

I wasn’t really asking about triggers. I already have a Piet recoil trigger for it. I’m more concerned about it either A) not detecting bullets or B) delivering faulty velocity info if it’s sitting, say, 18” above the rifle. I have a Raptar so the quadpod is going to have to be pretty high.

I wasn’t really asking about triggers. I already have a Piet recoil trigger for it. I’m more concerned about it either A) not detecting bullets or B) delivering faulty velocity info if it’s sitting, say, 18” above the rifle. I have a Raptar so the quadpod is going to have to be pretty high.

I’m not having any trouble using mine high and to the left as noted in the picture above. I just made sure it was aimed at my 25x15” IPSIC that was at 1000 yards.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Provided the radar is properly aimed you will get readings with a recoil trigger even with the wrong offset entered.
In the old phone app you'd see the actual amount it back-calculated from where it detected the bullet entering the beam (EX; 6.752" when you had 12" selected etc.).
The offset setting itself is more for Doppler mode to ignore other signals, unless a reflection enters from an angle it expects it ignores it.

Reactions: Conqueror
Using a JKL Precision trigger, LR sensitivity setting @ 5 for suppressed mode. Use a Blue Force Gear pouch with velcro attachments to the LR device. I make sure the LR device is square vertically to the ground as well as to the target.
IMG_3204 1LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY POUCH VELCRO 05.28.22 copy 2.jpg
IMG_3205 1LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY POUCH VELCRO 05.28.22 copy.jpg
IMG_3214CRACKER SWAMP KAC SR-25 7TH Session 600 Meters 05.29.22 copy.jpg
IMG_3234LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY VELCRO POUCH copy.jpg
IMG_3235LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY VELCRO POUCH copy.jpg
IMG_3448CRACKER SWAMP KAC SR-25 9TH SESSION 400 METERS 06.24.22 copy.jpg