• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for those using an Aimpoint 3x/Larue flip

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I bought an Aimpoint 3X magnifier and Larue flip mount combo this week. I've only dry handled it at this point but I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow. In handling it I noticed that the flip mount is positioning the 3X left of the center of the receiver. I can still see the dot and using the adjustments on the 3X I can get the dot centered in the 3X. I just found this odd and was wondering if I may have gotten an out of spec mount or it this is normal.

Re: Question for those using an Aimpoint 3x/Larue flip

Something is wrong.

They should line up exactly.....the magnifier should be inliine with the bore.

Can you post a pic of what you are talking about?

I just took a couple of pics with my phone, I'll get them posted up as soon as possible. I emailed Larue yesterday asking about it but they haven't responded yet.

Here are the pics, sorry for the quality.

In this pic, if you look at the edges of the square block on the bottom of the 3X and compare it to the rear sight you can see that the 3X is over to the left.
2011-03-11_09-30-45_394.jpg

In this one, if you look at the rear of the T1 and the front of the 3X you can see the offset.
2011-03-11_09-29-59_175.jpg

Just fired it and it doesn't appear to effect POI. 1,2 &3 are just the T-1, 4,5 & 6 are with the 3X. 50 yards.
2011-03-11_10-19-56_832.jpg

I can see it tilting slightly to the left in your second pic. I have the same Larue 3X mount and an Comp M2 with Larue mount. Everything lines up perfect for me. Like you said it is not affecting your groups, and it shouldn't. Does it affect your feild of view? if so I would contact Larue, if not, I myself would not worry about it.

It doesn't appear to have any negative impact at this point but I've had limited use with it. I don't know if there is a potential problem that I'm not aware of.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Larue.

Is there any type of adjustment built into the base? They should line up square. I have a couple other Larue Mounts, though not this one.

The groups should be ok as long as the T1 is sighted in, but I'd imagine you'd lose FOV due to the offset.

I haven't had to use Larue's Customer service yet, but everything I've read about them tells me they will make it right in hasty fashion.

I also have the LaRue mounts and the flip to the side magnifier. Everything lines up perfectly. I can't tell from the pics but are the mounts installed on the rail correctly and rock solid? Magnifier installed correctly on it's mount? Seems like something is off somewhere but cant tell due to the angle of the pics.

LaRue will take good care of you if something is messed up though.

That's not right.....it's definitely not lined up right. It looks low too.

I mounted the T-1 myself so I know it's right. The 3X was already in the mount when I bought it but I can't see anything on it that appears to be crooked or not lined up properly.

Hopefully Larue will get back with me at some point.

Larue has great customer service and will take care of anything that is not right. If you haven't heard from them by Monday afternoon I'd give them another call. They are not as big of a company as you would think and probably won't be open this weekend.

I used to have the exact same setup. I was just looking at pictures and the only thing I see different is that your T-1 mount is turned around backwards from the way mine was. The flip release lever on mine was on the opposite side....on the left side of the gun, the same as the flip lever for the magnifier.

I cant see how that would matter but it was the only thing i could see different.

I have a T-1 on my SR-15 and used to have a 3x behind it in a Larue flip mount. It sat a little to the left side, almost exactly as your pics. Didn't pose any problem.

Just adjust the centering of the dot with the 3X adjustments if it bothers you.

Somethings wrong though.

The site should obviously be centered with the bore. It only makes sense that be magnifier should as well. If the mount is designed to co witness with the irons, then they should all line up on every single rail system you bolt them to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just adjust the centering of the dot with the 3X adjustments if it bothers you. </div></div>

Not that simple, this isn't a recreational rifle.

Dude, you're killing me.....Larue hasn't got back to you yet?

Phylo,

My guess is that the problem lies in the fact that the 3x magnifier was developed for the big Aimpoints not the micros resulting in some tolerance issues in getting every possible configuration and combination of mounts to cowitness.

FWIW we have run the 3x's on guns and I just don't think it's the ideal solution.

Good luck keep us posted.

Try pushing the 3x all the way up to wear the rubber is touching the mounts ring. This would be like shouldering the suppressor on your threaded barrel. I run that red dot and mag the same way, mine is fine.

Thanks guys. Still haven't heard from Larue. I'll try giving them a call this afternoon.

I called and talked with Alfred. I'm sending it in and they are taking care of me. I have zero complaints.

Figured they would, Larue is GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called and talked with Alfred. I'm sending it in and they are taking care of me. I have zero complaints. </div></div>

It seems I have heard this story before!