• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for those who have used pac-nor barrels

steeltex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2009
ND
Hey guys, any body know if pac-nor barrels push bullets out at a slower velocity than other barrels. The reason I ask is this. I just had a 31", 1-12 twist, 5 groove pac-nor heavy palma barrel in .308 put on a model 70. So far with me putting less than 40 rds through her,the accurarcy is real good but I just chronoed my loads and did not get no were near the velocity increase I thought I would. I load a 155 amax and Nosler CC with 45gr of H4895. Both of them get me right around 2925fps in my 26" Rem PSS. In the pacnor barrel I only got 2950-2960 fps with both. The 6mmbr.com website has a table for barrel length and speed. And they Showed going from 26 to 31" gave an increase of 90fps. Granted, that was with 175gr bullets but they were using IMR 4064 , which is faster than Vargret and perty close to H4895 in burn rate. So , is pac-nor just a slower barrel than say the Remington or has the H4895 lost all it's fizzle in a barrel that long and the bullet is slowing down. I was hoping to bust 3000fps. I 've gone up 45.3 gr with no real over pressure signs , but backed it down to 45gr beacuse the accuracy was outstandin in the PSS. Thanks for any help guys

Re: Question for those who have used pac-nor barrels

I would not worry about 50 or even 100 fps if the accuracy is outstanding. Velocity is great!! But Accuracy is what you should strive for.

Pac Nor makes a fine barrel!

I have a buddy in Atlanta that has had about five of them and he loves them. I have two of them and have mounted one. Lapped in real nice. Try a 175 Mk and see how that runs.

I dont know why you would expect a huge gain in velocity.308s are about done burning powder by around 24".There may be a little more or less but thats it.

I have just one PacNor barreled rifle, but it shoots very well.

Every barrel is different, and you need to work up a load that shoots best in that particular barrel. The best load may be (probably will be) different for the new barrel.

With that additional barrel length and different twist rate you may find that a different powder or bullet will give you better results.

Also, don't expect it to shoot best with some predetermined bullet.....it might be OK, but there may be a different bullet Mfg/weight that will perform much better from that new barrel.

Have 3 in different chamberings. Slower than a cut rifled, faster than my reminton factory barrels, slightlyfaster than a Shilen.
Barrel life is amazing, accuracy is consistant and cleaning is a breeze.
Don't get all caught up in velocity and missing fast, settle for decent speeds and consistant accuracy.