• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Question for Tikka TAC A1 owners

bidet

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Just bought a Tikka T3x TAC A1 went to install my Thunderbeast CB mount, but I ran into a problem, and I know I can't be the first. For whatever reason, Tikka did not put an undercut or relief cut between the end of the threads and the square face of the barrel shoulder. Not only is there no relief cut, it appears that the stub that is left between the threads and the shoulder are just a tiny bit larger in diameter than the threads. If I am measuring correctly, the major diameter of the threads is 0.623", which matches what Thunderbeast shows on their thread specs. But that remaining unthreaded portion measures 0.625". I'm trying to attach a picture of the muzzle, but this is a first for me on this board, so ....

The problem I'm having is that the peel washer included with the CB brake just won't go over that part. Yep, that 0.002" is giving me fits. It's a close fit over the threads, and it just won't go over that little stub.

So, how did you guys get past this?

Obviously, I could box it up and send the barreled action to Thunderbeast or Adco, but that's really annoying to have to go through that hassle and lose that time that I could be spending working with the rifle.

I thought about trying to open up the peel washer by just a couple of thousandths, but I don't have access to anything other than typical home power tools and hand tools. Also, not sure whether a peel washer would de-laminate during that process. I could buy a set of these from Brownells, and maybe they're just that tiny bit larger that they'll work as-is, or I could probably find a machinist to ream them out just enough to slide over that stub.

Any other suggestions? Like I said, someone else has to have dealt with this.

Attachments

• TAC_A1_muzzle.jpeg
    TAC_A1_muzzle.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 174
Just buy you a set of crush washers of different sizes that will go over the raised portion and you are golden. The trick will be finding the combo that works to get it timed right. I’m fixing to have to do this on my father in laws but I don’t recall his having that. I will have to check and see. At any rate that will solve your issue. Or you could send it to a machine at and have the time the brake for you by threading it as needed. Obviously that’s more involved as will cost some dinero. Alternatively, you should be able to take a dremel, set it fairy low not to eat the washer up and open up the inside diameter so that it will fit over. You should be fine.

Thunderbeast specifically advises against crush washers - "Yes, you have to use the peel washer. Crush washers do not stay flat."

Thunderbeast specifically advises against crush washers - "Yes, you have to use the peel washer. Crush washers do not stay flat."

Read the last two sentences of my post. ? Your talking about .002”. Don’t overthink it. If it makes you feel better, send @Zak Smith and email with the pic you posted and ask him what he recommends doing. That way you have a answer from the man. Chances are when you start putting that thing on and torquing it it’s going to force it over the ledge. Again, your talking .002” here.

Watch this. It should be super easy to open that ID .002”. Then follow the instructions in the vid below.

Last edited:
You got me, I didn't finish reading all of your first post.

SilencerCo supplies shims like what you linked from Brownells. I had a bunch left over from other installations and used a couple of them on my son's TAC A1. I would order a shim set.

Was there any resolution for this issue? I contacted tbac and they suggested to have a relief cut placed in the barrel. Has anyone tried just screwing the muzzle brake down over the peel washer and forcing it over that ledge?

The washers that I referenced in the original post have a hole that is just enough wider that they snap over that tiny stub. Once the washer snaps into place, there is zero movement, and it will not fall off of the muzzle even if you remove the brake.

The peel washer did not snap over that stub, at least not on my rifle.

Was there any resolution for this issue? I contacted tbac and they suggested to have a relief cut placed in the barrel. Has anyone tried just screwing the muzzle brake down over the peel washer and forcing it over that ledge?

I have an Ultra 9 coming with a CB brake for my TAC A1 so I appreciate the insight on this issue.