• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for Vortex Fury HD 5000 Owners

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
Current owners or Vortex Fury HD 5000's with AB.... Would you buy them again now that you have used them for a bit?
Looking to consolidate multiple pieces into one for both a PRS and hunting solution (Bino/LRF and Kestrel would be the essentials). Still not thrilled about the limited magnification, however that seems to be the industry standard at the moment. I'm hoping Gen 2 of the Bino/LRF package will one day include optics that are suitable to longer ranges.

Would you buy them again for a Bino/LRF solution?

I have both the standard HD 5000's and the HD 500 with Applied Ballistics. They have been great for me and what I use them for which is mostly hunting and multi-gun competition. The glass is good enough to get a look at deer and elk in the brush at 1k yards. I'm not sure I could read the lettering on a golf ball at 300 yards. It has done all I have asked of it.

Reactions: MDof2
Would buy again. Could be subbed in in lieu of my kestrel at any match I’ve shot. Ranging has met my needs on steel targets to 1180 yards.

I would buy them again. I've used them in a couple of unknown distance matches where the stage time is very limited. I don't want to have to mess with two devices. Find the target, range it and have the solution presented in the display. The AB has worked very well. Optics are good enough to find the targets. And the LRF provides the distance easily out to 1200 yds. I've also successfully ranged a steel plate out to 1 mile.

I’ve used both versions in UKD sniper matches and have a set with AB on backorder from a hide vendor.

I have 5000 with AB and they've been great. Dope matches up with my Kestrel past a mile and they are fast (way faster than my Kilo 3000 linked to my Kestrel). The glass is good enough for finding targets. They're a solid unit.

I am happy with them and would buy again. Have owned the original Fury, then 5000 and now 5000 AB. They keep getting better.

I don't use them for any form of connectivity other than sending data profiles from the phone app.

Yes, I'd buy again. They've done everything I have expected.

PRS: ranging targets out to 1200 yds on a bright sunny day is about max. Darker/cloudy conditions they'll go to what is advertised. I don't use the ballistics for matches, just to confirm range to target.

Hunting: This is where they really shine. Getting a solution and getting on the gun is very fast. In most hunting situations you don't have time to fumble with multiple tools. Rangefinder, binos, phone, kestrel, etc.

The glass is pretty good if you're not a glass snob.

Reactions: J$Money and MDof2
Current owners or Vortex Fury HD 5000's with AB.... Would you buy them again now that you have used them for a bit?
Looking to consolidate multiple pieces into one for both a PRS and hunting solution (Bino/LRF and Kestrel would be the essentials). Still not thrilled about the limited magnification, however that seems to be the industry standard at the moment. I'm hoping Gen 2 of the Bino/LRF package will one day include optics that are suitable to longer ranges.

Would you buy them again for a Bino/LRF solution?
I would buy them again and another set for my kid. I guess I don't understand why the frustration with the limited mag... Most Bino's have that. If your looking to spot, a spotting scope will always be king. But for ranging and engaging, they are great. I am also able to spot trace very easy in them. 10/10 recommend.

I would buy them again and another set for my kid. I guess I don't understand why the frustration with the limited mag... Most Bino's have that. If your looking to spot, a spotting scope will always be king. But for ranging and engaging, they are great. I am also able to spot trace very easy in them. 10/10 recommend.
OH... And the way it connects to the kestrel makes it sweet for finding DOF. I am thinking of getting a hud to pair with my elite in hopes that the target cards can sink and be shown easily.

Thanks. Bought some. Used them. Sold them. Wasn't a fan.

OH... And the way it connects to the kestrel makes it sweet for finding DOF. I am thinking of getting a hud to pair with my elite in hopes that the target cards can sink and be shown easily.
Same as the capture button on the Kestrel :)

Thanks. Bought some. Used them. Sold them. Wasn't a fan.

Same as the capture button on the Kestrel :)
I know, but I'm thinking more NRL Hunter, to capture and range at the same time could be really nice.

I’m a Hunter and not a competition shooter. I have the 5000AB. As most point out they work well but the glass is not the best. It’s hard to say I would buy them again. While looking at a deer to decide if it’s a shooter, my Maven B2s are much better. But a tradition monocular is hard for me to see through or range far. So I end up taking both to my blind.

Reactions: Rocketboy
No, the battery performance in horrible. I sent them back because I thought they had to have a draw after going through a battery every 2 days hunting. Vortex blamed the battery and sent them back. Same conditions on the same trip Leicas 3200.com never went through a battery.

No, the battery performance in horrible. I sent them back because I thought they had to have a draw after going through a battery every 2 days hunting. Vortex blamed the battery and sent them back. Same conditions on the same trip Leicas 3200.com never went through a battery.
Ive had mine for 6 months now. Use them 4 times a month minimum. Still on same first battery.

I've probably been through 4 batteries on mine in the last year, they get used a fair bit, BT on and off with the Kestrel or 701 Foretrex.

Carry a small stash of batteries (AA, AAA, CR2, CR123) in my pack, couple of each for this reason. Last time out hunting, ended up changing both a Kestrel and Bino battery in the hills.

All part of using this connected gear, everything costs something.

Reactions: Mrindecisive