• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing question for you guys making a living at this.....

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
my buddy just got his manufacturing license and the ATF agent to him that to rebarrel a factory rifle he has to put his company name and a different serial number on it. "new rules" he says. why would you have to put a new serial number on a receiver that already has one from the factory? why does he have to put his company name on it if its a factory receiver that already has a name on it? they said he even has to do it if THEY bring in their own rifle to be rebarreled that they already bought and paid for and went through a background check for. does this sound right?

chuck

Re: question for you guys making a living at this.....

Ask 10 other field agents the same question and youll get 10 different answers.

In my limited experience they like to interpret the rules different in every location. I was told if they owned the parts it was gunsmithing. If I owned the parts and assembled it was manufacturing, thus serial number. I would put the caliber on either.

That field agent sounds like your tipical underachiever who's only hope of survival was to turn to the government for employment. I personally would contact his supervisor, or simply do the required research in the Regulations book. All the answers are there in black and white.

When I want an answer to a question I call the regional operations center in the Twin Cities and keep asking the same question to a different person until I get the answer I want.

-Knowing the entire time that it won't matter cause when they show up to do an inspection, whatever, I'm at the complete mercy of the person standing before me that day.

Tell your buddy to get used to the "musical chairs game" when it comes to the BATF. Just make sure you have a seat once the music stops.

Good luck.

C.

I told him to call the regional office which in this case is OKC Oklahoma. they told him the same thing. just doesn't make sense to me. just a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit as usual!

chuck

I think the defining line here is the difference between manufacturing and repairing a firearm.

The question I'd ask the agent next time this comes up is what are type 01 licensees supposed to do then? Since they are not manufacturers how can they legally "reserialize" a receiver?

They can't. So does this suddenly disqualify them from repairing guns? What's the point of being licensed then? Do they suddenly now have to reapply for a type 07 FFL?

I once called the regional center for help in determining whether or not I could legally offer load development w/o an ammunition manufacturer's license. The agent on the phone told me that I could not even legally possess ammunition components. She punctuated it with telling me that I could only possess black powder. I could tell by her tone that she was about to push the big red button that summons the black helicopters and MP5 carrying ninja squad. I politely told her that when they leave to arrest me they should also stop at every major outdoor sporting goods store between MN and Sturgis because Cabellas and Scheels are clearly plotting to take over the earth.

As stated, read the regulations.

I heard someone screaming outside my shop one day- " Get him off me, Get him off me". I walked outside to see my ATF agent and his briefcase on the roof of his car while my gentle Lab looked at him like he was nuts. By the time he left he had calculated that I would have to pay $360 dollars for every gun I manufactured even though I had an 07. I didn't even argue
smile.gif

$360 sounds about right. The excise tax on manufactured rifles is 11% of the selling price.

Who has to pay:
http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/gunsmith.shtml

Here is the entire Gunsmith section including the FAET exemption of less than 50 manufactured firearms. At the end of the document is the information number to Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau National Revenue Center:
http://www.ttb.gov/applications/pdf/gunsmith-letter-revised.pdf

It is to be paid quarterly. Here is the form.
http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f530026.pdf

Manufacturing is not for me. I'm quite happy as an 01.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the defining line here is the difference between manufacturing and repairing a firearm.

The question I'd ask the agent next time this comes up is what are type 01 licensees supposed to do then? Since they are not manufacturers how can they legally "reserialize" a receiver?

They can't. So does this suddenly disqualify them from repairing guns? What's the point of being licensed then? Do they suddenly now have to reapply for a type 07 FFL?

I once called the regional center for help in determining whether or not I could legally offer load development w/o an ammunition manufacturer's license. The agent on the phone told me that I could not even legally possess ammunition components. She punctuated it with telling me that I could only possess black powder. I could tell by her tone that she was about to push the big red button that summons the black helicopters and MP5 carrying ninja squad. I politely told her that when they leave to arrest me they should also stop at every major outdoor sporting goods store between MN and Sturgis because Cabellas and Scheels are clearly plotting to take over the earth.

As stated, read the regulations. </div></div>
lol... ninja squads! I was told the same thing in regards to ammunition components

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once called the regional center for help in determining <span style="font-weight: bold">whether or not I could legally offer load development w/o an ammunition manufacturer's license.</span> The agent on the phone told me that I could not even legally possess ammunition components. She punctuated it with telling me that I could only possess black powder. I could tell by her tone that she was about to push the big red button that summons the black helicopters and MP5 carrying ninja squad. I politely told her that when they leave to arrest me they should also stop at every major outdoor sporting goods store between MN and Sturgis because Cabellas and Scheels are clearly plotting to take over the earth.</div></div>

That's too funny. ;-)

Not knowing any better at the time, I applied and paid for the ammunition manufacturing license along with my 07 and the inspector told me in no uncertain terms that that was completely redundant, made me rework the application, refunded my money and wouldn't allow me to apply for both?

And based on this it makes perfect sense?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html#ammo-manufacturer-make-firearms

Q: May a person licensed as a manufacturer of firearms also manufacture ammunition?

Yes. The person may also manufacture ammunition (not including destructive device ammunition or armor piercing ammunition) without obtaining a separate license as a manufacturer of ammunition.

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

Sounds like the BATF is running like a well oiled machine. Not!
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Paul