• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for you Mausingfield owners

jsel10

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2014
So im thinking about starting another build and going with a CRF action. Rifles main use will be prs/nrl matches and will be chambered in either a BR variant or possibly a GT. Ive had my eye on the mausingfield since it came out. So Im looking for feedback from those who having experience running the BR based cartridges in the mausingfield. Thanks.

Reactions: The D
Patiently awaiting answers as well. Mausingfield is the action of the dream gun I have clanging around in my head

Reactions: jsel10
I run a nucleus in a 6bra. I use mdt br mags in an MPA chassis. It runs fine. No more or less mag issues than anyone else.

i run a 6Cm on a mausingfield on a prs rifle. I prefer the archimedes and i run dasher and GT in 2 archs - both feel similar but the archimedes is faster and better for PRS IMHO. When the 6CM barrel burns out will use the mausingfield for a hunting rifle, and get another archimedes for another 6CM

Last edited:
Reactions: Barelstroker
I own a Mausingfield and had an Archimedes. I had better luck getting the Mausingfield to work with my Primal Rights Kit/AI AICS mags. I sold the Archimedes and am still running the Mausingfield. My plan is to get a Terminus Zeus and try out AW mags and the HRD magazine kit to see which works better for me.

I am an average shooter and not a competition guy so am not qualified to speak to how well the setup performs under high pressure situations. I also can't speak to how well the MDT mags run as I live in California and those mags aren't CA legal.

I ran a gen 1 Mausingfield (sn 29) since 2015, this year started running the 6mm ARC in it and it was great in MDT BR magazines. However, I recently switched over to a Nucleus 2.0 for PRS/NRL, also in 6mm ARC, also running MDT BR magazines, also works well. I had to do bolt face/extrator work on both to get the .445" PPC case head of the ARC to work in these actions. Wouldn't be an issue with BR (.473") variants. Same as a .308, creed, etc.

I'm on board with the Nucleus/Archimedes for PRS/NRL sentiments. I think they run quicker. My MF is also the early 90 degree bolt throw version, however. I think all of the ARC actions are 78 degrees now. I will probably never sell my Mausingfield, have 14,000+ rounds on it now and that will keep going up, but it's getting turned into a light(er) weight hunting rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I use a MF in 6br as my main coyote rifle. Works like a champ with about every magazine I've tried. I've been using the br mags from MDT lately though. I love the MF and surely there are some features of the Arch or Nuke that would make you think they could be better for a match rifle, but no one is out there telling all the guys running Impacts that they'd have a nice action if only it was a 3 lug with 78 degree bolt lift. I only bring that up because I feel like the MF is a better two lug action than anything on the market. Obviously that's my opinion, but I have had almost everything out there and they just run. I also happen to prefer the CRF and inertial ejector to push feed and a spring ejector.

The Archimedes has been running awesome also. I've got one set up for 223 with a 20" and one as a 6x47 with a 17" and neither has skipped a beat.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Does anyone know if ARC runs any black friday deals?

Reactions: Luke G
I run a Mausingfield M5 in 6BRA. Runs like a well oiled sewing machine. Have used both AICS + primal rights kits and now MDT mags without a problem.

The Mausingfield is a damn fine action and very underrated. I own an assortment of different custom actions, and IMO, the Mausingfield is the most impressive.

FWIW, I built a "GoLite" 6x47 PRS/hunting rig on the Mausingfield and it shoots lights out!

See the following:

The action is solid and I have only had feeding issues once due to me short stroking the bolt (user error) in the first barricade stage that I ran it on. The action loves to be run hard and fast and works flawlessly when you do that and I have never had a feeding issues after learning that lesson. I am running AW mags and love the action; however, being light, the gun is not as forgiving (due to my lack of recoil management skills in spotting hits) as heavier (15 lbs+) guns shooting 6bra w/breaks in a quick moving PRS match.

... YMMV.

Last edited:
I have had a 90 degree version of the mausingfield and the gen 1 nucleus. They are both very good actions. I would say the mausingfield fed rebated rims a bit better (284) but it’s not that huge of a difference both were good just slightly better in the mausingfield. The nucleus gen 1 was definitely faster for bolt manipulation. I haven’t tried the newer mausingfield or nucleus which are both almost the same throw. I am tempted to get an Archimedes to try it out as I love the gen 1 nucleus.

FWIW, I built a "GoLite" 6x47 PRS/hunting rig on the Mausingfield and it shoots lights out!

See the following:

The action is solid and I have only had feeding issues once due to me short stroking the bolt (user error) in the first barricade stage that I ran it on. The action loves to be run hard and fast and works flawlessly when you do that and I have never had a feeding issues after learning that lesson. I am running AW mags and love the action; however, being light, the gun is not as forgiving (due to my lack of recoil management skills in spotting hits) as heavier (15 lbs+) guns shooting 6bra w/breaks in a quick moving PRS match.

... YMMV.
I'm looking seriously at a Mausingfield, Arch or nuke & noticed that you mention running AW mags. Are you running AW mags in the MF? I'm extremely interested in running AW mags in an MF so, if that is the case, could you please explain what was done to the action & if there were any tuning issues & etc.

Kind regards...........Barelstroker

I'm looking seriously at a Mausingfield, Arch or nuke & noticed that you mention running AW mags. Are you running AW mags in the MF? I'm extremely interested in running AW mags in an MF so, if that is the case, could you please explain what was done to the action & if there were any tuning issues & etc.

Kind regards...........Barelstroker
I'm guessing he meant AI (AICS) and not AW, as the mag well would have to be cut differently and I don't see how the staggered feed would work.

I am running AW mags (10 round double stack) in my “GoLite” mausingfield. You can call Adam at Mile High - he and his troops put it together and it runs flawlessly.

Reactions: ohiofarmer
I am running AW mags (10 round double stack) in my “GoLite” mausingfield. You can call Adam at Mile High - he and his troops put it together and it runs flawlessly.
Yes, yes, absolutely. Pictures, pictures. I'm going to need to speak with you about this. All the detail you can give please.

I will post later this evening when I get home. Don’t remember who’s bottom metal it is ... MileHigh would know.

I will post later this evening when I get home. Don’t remember who’s bottom metal it is ... MileHigh would know.
Thank you muchly. I've been looking for somebody running or tried to run AW mags in these actions for months.
Every time I thought about it, I just couldn't understand why the actions couldn't be made to run them in some way.
Thanks again 300ATT.
Kind Regards..........................Barelstroker.

Sorry folks I lied.

I just pulled the GoLite rifle out of storage and it uses 10 round ARC mags that double stack but then feed singly like the aics mags. The outside dimensions of ARC mags are similar to the double stack AW mags and I have two other custom rifles (rem 700) that were modified to run AW mags and got my wires crossed.

bottom metal - Surgeon
Mags 10 round ARC

I apologize for crushing any hopes ... but I will say that it IS possible to modify a R700 action to run AW mags flawlessly.

^^^^
1F2CD4BD-FEAC-4C2B-BE08-C88C89E5A5AD.gif

Sorry folks I lied.

I just pulled the GoLite rifle out of storage and it uses 10 round ARC mags that double stack but then feed singly like the aics mags. The outside dimensions of ARC mags are similar to the double stack AW mags and I have two other custom rifles (rem 700) that were modified to run AW mags and got my wires crossed.

bottom metal - Surgeon
Mags 10 round ARC

I apologize for crushing any hopes ... but I will say that it IS possible to modify a R700 action to run AW mags flawlessly.
No worries dude.
Good to hear the ARC mags are working well for you. What cartridge are you running?
Yes, I know Rem actions will work but, I'm planning on running BR variants so it's best to use CRF otherwise I'd have to reduce the plunger spring tension & maybe extend the plunger itself out to prevent dinging the case necks & to stop the case from falling out of the bolt face prematurely. Since I will probably run 308 & 260 as well, fiddling with the plunger would more than likely cause issues with those cases. Most guys advise CRF with BR & PPC in a non-dedicated Rem SA length clone.

It *may* be possible to get the MF action to run double stack AW mags like the R700's that I had customized, but they are push feeds and there may some issues with the CRF mausingfield that prohibit the bolt from reliably picking up rounds from either side of the AW mag ... this topic is above my pay grade so I'll just shut up for now ...

Yup. I deserved that.
Not to worry. I'm not giving up just yet.
Since you mentioned Adam at Mile high, I can't see any harm in shooting him an email to see if he's heard of anyone & get his opinion on it's viability.

If there is anyone that can pull it off or tell you not to MileHigh Adam is the one to talk to.

If there is anyone that can pull it off or tell you not to MileHigh Adam is the one to talk to.
That's what I'm talking about. Good stuff & thank you. Every little tid of info helps & I'm grateful for your help.
Is you're Mausingfield the open top BDM compatible type?

It is one of the early versions of the MF. I have not followed the development of the action since then so would have to do some research and pull the rifle out of storage to correctly answer your question. So to be safe: "I'm not sure." is the appropriate answer. :)

It is one of the early versions of the MF. I have not followed the development of the action since then so would have to do some research and pull the rifle out of storage to correctly answer your question. So to be safe: "I'm not sure." is the appropriate answer. :)
I understand. I'm not sure about the early models either.
The newer model Mausingfield is offered in an open top hunter or tactical closed top configurations.
The open top is more focused on a hunting style rifle & comes with BDM cut which can use AICS mags.
The closed or tactical config accepts AICS or ARC mags only.

I've never felt the need to run AW mags in any MF, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It may capture the round behind the extractor later in the cycle than if it was an inline mag design, but it should work. As mentioned above, the guys at Mile High may have some insight. The guy that has been working on the action the longest though and has a relationship with the designer/manufacturer would be Chad Dixon of LRI. If I was serious about getting it set up to run AW, I would give him a shout. He may have already done it successfully or come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the effort.

I've never felt the need to run AW mags in any MF, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It may capture the round behind the extractor later in the cycle than if it was an inline mag design, but it should work. As mentioned above, the guys at Mile High may have some insight. The guy that has been working on the action the longest though and has a relationship with the designer/manufacturer would be Chad Dixon of LRI. If I was serious about getting it set up to run AW, I would give him a shout. He may have already done it successfully or come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the effort.

Seems like a silly endeavor to try and get a top tier well thought out action like an MF and modify it to do something that it was never designed to do. There's not much potential gain and plenty of downsides. The Mausingfield is an amazing action - use it as it was intended (AICS mags), and it will treat you right.

If people have that big of a hard-on for AW mags, then get an action that was designed from the ground up to run AW mags.

Seems like a silly endeavor to try and get a top tier well thought out action like an MF and modify it to do something that it was never designed to do. There's not much potential gain and plenty of downsides. The Mausingfield is an amazing action - use it as it was intended (AICS mags), and it will treat you right.

If people have that big of a hard-on for AW mags, then get an action that was designed from the ground up to run AW mags.
So which actions were specifically designed for AW mags except AI?
From what I see, most of the actions used with AW are 2 lug & not designed for them.
I do like ARC actions & would prefer to use one for my build &, regardless of AW compatibility, I may well settle on ARC but, at the moment, I'm simply trying to determine if anyone has or is using AW mags with them. I can't see any harm in a little digging into the subject &, along the way, all kinds of small nuggets come to the surface, not only for me but, others as well.
It may be that Chad at LRI is able to give a definitive answer to my Question. Either way, that will be good as well.
Regards............Barelstroker

Last edited:
No worries dude.
Good to hear the ARC mags are working well for you. What cartridge are you running?
Yes, I know Rem actions will work but, I'm planning on running BR variants so it's best to use CRF otherwise I'd have to reduce the plunger spring tension & maybe extend the plunger itself out to prevent dinging the case necks & to stop the case from falling out of the bolt face prematurely. Since I will probably run 308 & 260 as well, fiddling with the plunger would more than likely cause issues with those cases. Most guys advise CRF with BR & PPC in a non-dedicated Rem SA length clone.
What does CRF have to do with the ejection? There are push feed actions with mechanical ejection like Kelbly's Atlas Tactical

What does CRF have to do with the ejection? There are push feed actions with mechanical ejection like Kelbly's Atlas Tactical
Yes, a Kelbly would work I think. I have indeed considered a Kelbly action.
From what I can gather, CRF isn't necessary with the BR cartridges but, mechanical ejection, although not absolutely necessary, simplifies extraction & ejection.
I just like CRF & would rather include it than not however, the absence of CRF is no deal breaker either.
If I were to ascertain that the Kelbly action was the absolute best with AW mags, that would put it on my list but, ATM, it's one of many 2 lug push feed actions without bolt head swap capability.

I was just explaining that CRF was not at all related to mechanical ejection. The way your post was worded, it seemed like you thought they were.

I was just explaining that CRF was not at all related to mechanical ejection. The way your post was worded, it seemed like you thought they were.
Yes, I gathered that.
On the subject of CRF, I have a old Mauser & a Ruger M77 MK II which I like &, the CRF in both work great but, I also have a push feed which feeds & extracts just like God made it so, I've nothing against push feed actions.

So which actions were specifically designed for AW mags except AI?
From what I see, most of the actions used with AW are 2 lug & not designed for them.
I do like ARC actions & would prefer to use one for my build &, regardless of AW compatibility, I may well settle on ARC but, at the moment, I'm simply trying to determine if anyone has or is using AW mags with them. I can't see any harm in a little digging into the subject &, along the way, all kinds of small nuggets come to the surface, not only for me but, others as well.
It may be that Chad at LRI is able to give a definitive answer to my Question. Either way, that will be good as well.
Regards............Barelstroker

I believe the GAP Tempest was? But I could be mistaken on that.

Generally, AW mags and R700 pattern actions are a bad mix. Just get the action you want and run AICS pattern mags. There's a lot of good AICS pattern mags out there to choose from, and it will save you and your gunsmith a bunch of potential headaches.

It’s difficult to make a control round feed that isn’t mechanically ejected, so they do in fact go hand in hand.

I believe the GAP Tempest was? But I could be mistaken on that.

Generally, AW mags and R700 pattern actions are a bad mix. Just get the action you want and run AICS pattern mags. There's a lot of good AICS pattern mags out there to choose from, and it will save you and your gunsmith a bunch of potential headaches.
Yeah, to be honest, I'll probably finish up running ARC mags in an ARC action although, I must say I like the TL3 about as much. Damn, now that I think about it, I like em all.
I've seriously considered Stiller, Kelbly, a Deviant Tactical or Elite, Borden super short 6, Barnard & even an Impact 737R which, when you look real close, is just a tarted up Howa 1500 &, runs near on as good as a Howa to boot.
They're all expertly made, slick, reliable actions &, I'd own any of them & be happy. The problem is all the damn choice we have these days. It's bordering on cruelty, so it is. Not to mention the confusion.
Dang it, I'm flip flop'n harder than a Texan in a hat store.

Reactions: kthomas
i run a 6Cm on a mausingfield on a prs rifle. I prefer the archimedes and i run dasher and GT in 2 archs - both feel similar but the archimedes is faster and better for PRS IMHO. When the 6CM barrel burns out will use the mausingfield for a hunting rifle, and get another archimedes for another 6CM
Since you mentioned the Archimedes', I have a Q or 2 for you.
I' don't run hot loads & normally don't have extraction issues so that's not a concern I have but, in your opinion, does the Arch have a noticeably lighter bolt lift as a result of the design?
Does it feel smooth when running the bolt &, do you notice the extraction phase of the rearward bolt travel?
Regards..........Barelstroker

Since you mentioned the Archimedes', I have a Q or 2 for you.
I' don't run hot loads & normally don't have extraction issues so that's not a concern I have but, in your opinion, does the Arch have a noticeably lighter bolt lift as a result of the design?
Does it feel smooth when running the bolt &, do you notice the extraction phase of the rearward bolt travel?
Regards..........Barelstroker
The archimedes has a shorter and lighter bolt lift compared to the nucleus. I swapped out my nucleus after less than a minute of playing with the two side by side and have two now instead of one of each.

Nucleus isn’t a bad action but the archimedes is the superior action. Disassembling the bolt isn’t difficult or complicated after you do it once and understand how it actually works either.

It’s very fast and likes to be run bladed. Lift with pointer finger, flick rearward with pointer finger, then with thumb push forward and down. Watch any video of Ted running the action and that’s pretty much the way to do it and you never feel the handle pivot. It’s fast and effortless.

You only feel the handle pivot when you’ve got a sticky case and even then if you’re blading it, you barely notice it. If you run the action pinching the bolt knob with your pointer finger and thumb which I think is pretty unnecessary then you’ll feel the handle pivot.

6ECFC474-37F2-4659-8AEF-BFC12344E035.jpeg

The archimedes has a shorter and lighter bolt lift compared to the nucleus. I swapped out my nucleus after less than a minute of playing with the two side by side and have two now instead of one of each.

Nucleus isn’t a bad action but the archimedes is the superior action. Disassembling the bolt isn’t difficult or complicated after you do it once and understand how it actually works either.

It’s very fast and likes to be run bladed. Lift with pointer finger, flick rearward with pointer finger, then with thumb push forward and down. Watch any video of Ted running the action and that’s pretty much the way to do it and you never feel the handle pivot. It’s fast and effortless.

You only feel the handle pivot when you’ve got a sticky case and even then if you’re blading it, you barely notice it. If you run the action pinching the bolt knob with your pointer finger and thumb which I think is pretty unnecessary then you’ll feel the handle pivot.

View attachment 7576273
Beautiful looking rig.
I really like the idea of an action with very easy bolt opening.
A while back, I fitted one of the Howa aftermarket tactical bolt knobs which also extends the length of the bolt handle. Wow, what a radical difference 3/4" makes to the bolt throw.
I've not felt the bolt opening of an Arch, nucleus or MF but, with the long bolt handle & twin cocking ramps, it must be considerably smoother again.
The bolt lift on my Ruger M77 is very stiff but, not only because of the short handle but, the SS Ruger uses is the same for the action as the bolt. I've had no end of trouble with sticky lift & galling of the cocking ramp & bolt lugs with that rifle.
Although I really like the TL3, I'm very hesitant about the bolt & action being the same 416 SS. I can't help but wonder how it will stand up over time in fine dust conditions. When shooting out of a vehicle, there's a lot of dust generated because we're out in paddocks & old dirt farm roads & tracks. That is what buggered my Ruger.
That's one area where the Howa really shines. It don't matter how much dust & shit it's covered in, it just keeps going.

Yeah, to be honest, I'll probably finish up running ARC mags in an ARC action although, I must say I like the TL3 about as much. Damn, now that I think about it, I like em all.
I've seriously considered Stiller, Kelbly, a Deviant Tactical or Elite, Borden super short 6, Barnard & even an Impact 737R which, when you look real close, is just a tarted up Howa 1500 &, runs near on as good as a Howa to boot.
They're all expertly made, slick, reliable actions &, I'd own any of them & be happy. The problem is all the damn choice we have these days. It's bordering on cruelty, so it is. Not to mention the confusion.
Dang it, I'm flip flop'n harder than a Texan in a hat store.
I’d say the Howa has more in common with Win70 than any Rem700 footprinted action.

Beautiful looking rig.
I really like the idea of an action with very easy bolt opening.
A while back, I fitted one of the Howa aftermarket tactical bolt knobs which also extends the length of the bolt handle. Wow, what a radical difference 3/4" makes to the bolt throw.
I've not felt the bolt opening of an Arch, nucleus or MF but, with the long bolt handle & twin cocking ramps, it must be considerably smoother again.
The bolt lift on my Ruger M77 is very stiff but, not only because of the short handle but, the SS Ruger uses is the same for the action as the bolt. I've had no end of trouble with sticky lift & galling of the cocking ramp & bolt lugs with that rifle.
Although I really like the TL3, I'm very hesitant about the bolt & action being the same 416 SS. I can't help but wonder how it will stand up over time in fine dust conditions. When shooting out of a vehicle, there's a lot of dust generated because we're out in paddocks & old dirt farm roads & tracks. That is what buggered my Ruger.
That's one area where the Howa really shines. It don't matter how much dust & shit it's covered in, it just keeps going.

Reactions: fxdrider