• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing question from a newbie about an action

brknshk

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
redmond, oregon
Hey guys, new to the custom rifle scene but would like to build my father a rifle before its his time.so im wanting to build him a 308, i know basically how and what im going to use, however. i just purchased a rifle in the for sale section. it is a 30-06 howa 1500. am i able to actually use that action for the 308 build?

Re: question from a newbie about an action

Yes you can use the long action for the 308 since the bolt face is the same for 308 and 30-06. Most people like the short actions but I have shot a few times from both long and short 308s and I think they both work.

Waiting for Pete Lincoln to chime in. He is the member here you should talk to about a Howa build. Or just search for Howa threads here; plenty to read up.

awesome pete, thank you shep. im an avid howa rifle guy as well now as of last night i own 5 howa 1500 rifles. thanks guys.

ok another stupid question lol. Are the threads on most barrels pretty universal like per say i wanna buy a lilja 308 barrel, they dont make one for a howa 1500, is there a particular one to buy or does it actually have to be for the howa 1500?

No they are not all the same. Don’t quote me on this but I think the Howa is the same pitch as the vanguard which is 1.5mm which is metric. Remington, weatherbys, and most of the others use English like 16 tpi, 18 tpi, ect. But your smith should be able to thread a new barrel on the lathe and fix you up. You may want to ask them before just to make sure they can thread metric. I am thinking about doing something like you are but I have a vanguard in 22-250 which is the short action. I might take one of the spare Remington 700 heavy 308 barrels I have and rethread to the 1.5mm and use on my vanguard. Of course when I rethread it I will it will have to rechamber it and it will shorten the barrel but its 26” to start with so it’s not going to hurt taking off 2” of less.