• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question from McMillans??

Dick D

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2002
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
We need to buy a Lee-Enfield #1 Mk III to use as a fitting tool for a possible stock project. Don't need a nice or primo rifle, just an old beater for programming and s fitting guage. If anyone has an extra one or knows where one might be found please let us know. We might buy or trade??
Thanks, Dick at McMillans

Re: Question from McMillans??

Dick,

If you check on Gunbroker, you can find No.I Mk.III drill rifles for well under a hundred bucks. If firing is not a concern, I would start there. Or, look for one that's been sporterized, if you don't need the original wood configuration, but still need it to shoot.

John

I have an Enfield, pretty beat up on the stock but the rest of it is in good shape. When I get home tonight I'll check to see if it's a #1 Mk III (I think it is, but can't say for sure without looking at it). If it is, I'd be happy to send it over to you for the greater glory of this great rifle.

Thanks guys, got this taken care of. After a bit more research I decided we better get one from the Ishapore Armory as there may be some differences between them and the English made, Australian made and Canadian made rifles. Found the pre-war (1939) Ishapore drill rifles on Gun Broker and also a post-war (1950) Ishapore rifle so we should be able to see some of the tolerances in them.
Thanks for the help.

P.S. also found out from a Canadian firearms industry friend that these iconic and well respected 100+ year old battle rifles are being made again, brand new, in Australia.

What type of stock are you going to be making? Just for the No3MkIII or the Ishapore 308's they made later.

Since our potential customer is in India we will fit the stocks for the No.1 MK III rifles made is Ishapore. If the tolerances are the same on the English and Australian made No. 1 Mk III's the stock should fit all of them. Perhaps even all the old SMLE's. We are not experts on the Lee-Enfields and don't really know if these are all made to the same dimensions or not.

Turns out mine is an Ishapore No. 1 Mk III from 1962. I don't take mine out of the safe much so if you find that you need more than one of the Ishapore rifles to verify the tolerances, I'm more than happy to send mine to you so you can check it out.
2012-06-07204122.jpg

You might want to make sure they are not using the 308 version. It has a different mag. Mine is a carbine size rifle. I also have a couple of No3mkIII's. I snap some pic to show the differance.

I'm so excited to see something like this! If it fits a Aussie lithgow I'll definitely want one of these stocks! Better than a ati stock for sure!!!!!! I'm sure you'll have no shortage of people like me trying to get these shipped down to aus! Please make them and ship to aus😃

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> P.S. also found out from a Canadian firearms industry friend that these iconic and well respected 100+ year old battle rifles are being made again, brand new, in Australia. </div></div>

I think you're on about the AIA M10

These were Mainly .308 rifles built here in Oz, however from what i recall they went out of Business a couple of years back despite heavy advertising due to overpricing and a lack of a willing market.

They cost around $1000, if not more for some models. For that money you could buy a decent early-war or pristine post-war model that'd never been used or had very minor use and was still perfect.

They sold them on the gimmick that they were marginally more accurate, boasted a receiver rail and bipod mount. One version came in 7.62x39 which was mildly amusing given how fast one can cycle an enfield and the lack of widespread semi-autos here in Oz.

However fact is that if i wanted a rifle like that i could have one made for that price or possibly less if i shopped around on the barrel and action. And i could have it in a more useful/cheaper calibre (7.62x39 russian is rare here, nobody uses it so ammo isn't as cheap as in the US), probably 30-30 or something.
I've seen a 45-70 enfield which was nice i must say.

Dick, if you find out you need a Lithgow number1 mark III, let me know. I have one in great shape, wood, metal and action. I'd like to help, both the stocks I got from y'all have been great for me.
DaveV