• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question: Hermes Engraver for barrel markings: which bit

chipsfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Northeast USA
Hi,

I just bought a motorized hermes pantograph. Its the same as this, only older Gravograph - IM3 - Engraving Pantograph

I was playing with it without the motor on and it worked fairly well. I wasn't having great success on stainless barrels stock with the motor running the motor. I was wondering what the graver (bit) you guys are using to do barrels? I have a few of them, so if you could post a picture it would be very helpful. Also, a few pics of your finished marking would be greatly appreciated.

I have a two line font. It looks OK, but it is what it came with so it has to do.

Thank you

The tip size varies depending on the size of the type you want to engrave. For example, you would use a .010 to .015 tip for 1/8" type and for 1/4" type you would go up to a .020 to .030 tip size. Tip size also depends on your type style, one line two line, four line, etc. For engraving stainless you would want a carbide cutter with an 80 degree included angle. On my IS400V if I wanted to engrave a stainless barrel with s single line 1/8" type, I would use an 11/64 .015 80 degree carbide cutter. For a two line font I might reduce the tip size to a .012, etc. Take shallow cuts, a couple thousandths, and slow spindle speed for stainless.

Attached photos, deep cut engraving after Cerakote.

Attachments

• Engraving_barreel_company2.jpg
    Engraving_barreel_company2.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 56
  • Engraving_barreel_caliber2.jpg
    Engraving_barreel_caliber2.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 46
Did you guys make a jig to hold the round barrel in the vice? If so can you post pics of it.

Thanks.

Machine Tools West
(801) 974-0638
2019 W Parkway Blvd
Salt Lake City, UT 84119

They are who I have sharpen my engraving bits. I think it's Tom but can't remember for sure. Just tell the receptionist you need to talk to someone about old new Hermes pantographs. He helped me a lot when I got my first Hermes. My favorite all around tip size is .010 x 30deg. I've tried 1/8 and 1/4 round bits on stainless and don't think they were really any better. They are more fragile in my opinion. Just use carbide tips and dab on some really light oil with a q-tip as you go. Use the q-tip to keep the tip and work wiped clean too. Defiantly take several light cuts versus heavy cuts. I like the motor driven engraving over the scratching. Just like the depth of cut better. Also, I have a duplicate set of that font if someone wants to trade for a different font.

Mine was originally a "flatbed type". I drilled and tapped the corners for some "legs"(bolts) to raise it up high enough for barrels. Then I just mounted some aluminum angle to the vise plates to hold the barrel in alignment. The legs allow for different material heights. Works really well.

Did you guys make a jig to hold the round barrel in the vice? If so can you post pics of it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Leg.jpg
    Leg.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 63
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 64
  • font2.jpg