• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question.. inline muzzleloaders... same accuracy from cheap and high dollar?

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
thinking of picking one up, dont feel like dropping much cash..

are the less then 200$ walmart CVA's just as accurate as the 400$ guns?

Depends, if you get lucky, yes, but in general and across the board, No.

Even the high dollar Thompson's aren't great, they're good but not great.

The best I've seen are the Knight rifles with Green Mountian Barrels. A good friend of mine's Disc Extreme shoots pie plates at 350 without problems when the guy behind it does his part.

America's Muzzleloader. Knight Muzzleloaders and Accessories.

Last edited:
I had great success with my cva acura. It is plenty accurate for the distance I am able to shoot game here in Missouri. I think they have bergera barrels and I got mine for around $220 or so. I don't have any experience with any other in-lines but I will purchasing a cva acura v2 and will be giving my acura to my step father. I let him use it last season and he wants one for himself. He will be pleasantly surprised when I give it to him that is for sure.

question.. inline muzzleloaders... same accuracy from cheap and high dollar?

My CVA apex holds 1.5 Moa at 100. It, like the Accura has a bergara barrel. I use 250 gr Barnes Tez's and 100gr of 777. It will handle 150 gr, but I don't see the need.

--Daniel

I'm trying to squeeze 300 yards out of it given the accuracy and the BC of the Hornady fpb bullets, and their ability to expand down to 800 feet per second, at 300 yards I should still be about 1300 feet per second providing a muzzle velocity of 2000 feet per second

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I don't see another good long range option bullet for 300 yards that can match the BC and expansion of the hornady, the only other one I saw that was close was one of the barnes lines that's a 290 grain bullet and will expand down to 1000 feet per second

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Parker bullets,

Im shooting the 325gr Match Hunter at 2800fps

3" groups at 400yds
1.5" groups at 300 yards

Only drops 2" at 200yds so essentially I have a 200 yard zero

45/70's have been shooting chunks of lead at long distances for over 100 years. Original blackpowder loads were 405 or 500 grains and only about 1200 fps. They are consistently used in the blackpowder world at 500+ yards.

Why not try a heavy cast lead bullet?

--Daniel

I have owned CVA, Remington, and 2 Thompson Center (Omega, and Triump) muzzle loaders. The most accurate were the CVA and the Triumph. I sold the CVA to buy the Remington in .45 caliber. When it became next to impossible to buy bullets and pellets locally I saved up and bought the Omega with a laminate thumb hole stock and fluted stainless barrel. No matter what bullet I tried I could not get it to shoot better than 2" at 100 yards. I sold it to a co-worker and bought a triumph a few years ago. I am shooting dead center .45 caliber bullets Precision Rifle's "Dead Center" Sabots and can keep it under 1" at 150 yards when I have a solid rest and do my part. I have never had a deer go more than 25 yards with the dead centers. The last 2 dropped where they were standing.

I shoot 250gr Barnes MZ-Expander's on top of 120gr of 3f triple 7 out of a 22" barreled Knight Wolverine. This load averages 2150fps through my Chrony. The bullet is supposed to expand down to 1000fps. Here are the ballistics showing 300yds is inside its expansion range at 2100fps.

Your Input Variables
Ballistic Coefficient 0.207 Velocity (ft/s) 2100 Weight (grains) 250
Maximum Range (yds) 300 Interval (yds) 100 Drag Function G1
Sight Height (inches) 1.5 Shooting Angle (degrees) 0 Zero Range (yds) 100
Wind Speed (mph) 0 Wind Angle (degrees) 90 Altitude (ft) 0
Pressure (hg) 29.53 Temperature (F) 59 Humidity (%) 0.78
Ballistics Results - 250gr Barnes MZ Expander
RANGE (YARDS) VELOCITY (FPS) ENERGY (FT.-LB.) TRAJECTORY (IN) COME UP IN MOA COME UP IN MILS WIND DRIFT (IN) WIND DRIFT IN MOA WIND DRIFT IN MILS
Muzzle 2100 2448 -1.5 0 0 0 0 0
100 1741 1682 0 0 0 0 0 0
200 1432 1138 -10.1 4.8 1.4 0 0 0
300 1191 787 -37.4 11.9 3.5 0 0 0

As far as which rifle, I would recommend Knight but that's just personal preference. Different rifles prefer different bullets and powder charges. Most Knight's I've seen preferred 100-120gr charges but the couple TC's I've had liked the real hot loads and wouldn't shoot Barnes bullets for shit but loved SST's and XTP's. You should be able to work up a load for any new inline that will meet your needs.

If you're wanting to shoot deer clear out to 300 yards then don't scrimp on the gun. I've had some great in lines but like other poster said the TCs aren't all that accurate. Fine for 100 yards but mine wouldn't do much better than 3 moa. I had a remington 700 ml that would do 1moa with open sights. If you could find one of those still around they are shooters. Don't try any that have an exposed hammer for long shots. To slow of lock time.

My Encore loved 110gr FFG Triple 7, 250gr Parker Ballistic extreame and a Remington Kleenbore primer. 100 yards I shot a group I could cover with a nickel.

Now it wears a DSS barrel, Kreiger blank bullet on the bore smokeless

my cva accura will clover leaf powerbelt 295 grain bullets. It has a pretty damn nice trigger also.

Use to run a knight then a rem700ml. Bought a cva accura v2 this year and hunted with it a bit. 12k feet and in the rain every day. Love it.