• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question: Modifying a PWS FSC556 w/Suppressor QD

Jer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
Loveland, Colorado
I have a PWS FSC556 brake that is a YHM suppressor QD mount. It was engineered for .223/5.56 and they never made a 30cal version. I love, love, LOVE this brake and I want it on my new 9" 300 Blackout upper. I looked at it closely and it looks like it could be modified fairly easily and I wanted to get some input from anyone who knows this brake specifically. It doesn't have a solid bore and instead has a small (maybe 1/4" thick) collar near the end of the brake. This is the only part that is even close to the size of the .223/5.56 round. It looks like it could be drilled out with a press to accommodate the 30cal round. The base that's 1/2" x 18 looks to be plenty thick enough to allow for re-threading for 5/8" x 24 threads as well.

My question is has anyone here done this or know someone who has? Since this is a suppressor mount there's a little less fudge factor room and I want to make sure the integrity of the brake won't be affected. I measured the current opening and comparing it to the diameter of the projectile came up with a ratio which, when applied to a 7.62 round I get a 10mm hole that needs to be drilled out to give the same % of clearance as a .223/5.56 round. It looks like there's still plenty of beef near the tangs so it should still be fine but I was hoping someone out there has actually done this or knows someone who has and can speak from experience.

For reference, here's some pictures for reference:

1307519258942439888653.jpeg

PWS%20SM556%20YHM.jpg

This is the top view. On the right.

DPP_0003.jpg