• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question.. NF reticle size comparison 2FP v. 1FP.

nickw

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Western MA
I've shot/owned the Nightforce 2FP 3.5-15X50 w/md reticle. I'm considering the NF F1 with the same reticle. I know the the F1's reticle will appear to grow larger and smaller as magnification is changed.....My question is at what magnification would the F1 need to be set at for the reticle to appear the same size as a md reticle in a 2FP NF? I like the size of the 2FP NF MD reticle and was wondering how much bigger the reticle will appear in a FFP F1. Don't have any dealers local, so can't make the comaparison myself. Thanks Nick-

Re: Question.. NF reticle size comparison 2FP v. 1

10x is typically where you range with a second focal plane reticle.

Well, Nightforce's SFP has to be at max power to range with. As far as the comparison between the two...at what power they will match...jesus..never thought of that. Just called NF but they are closed on Fri...you got me wondering on this one...why I have no idea. LOL

Mr. Kirk...actually the NF 2FP reticle is intended to be used at max magnification. What I'm trying to determine is when looking through a FFP F1, what magnification would the scoope be set at for the reticle to appear to be the same size (read thickness of reticle) as the same reticle in a 2FP NF.

I'd call NF and ask and post the response. The MLR reticle in NF's reticle manual, lists it at 15x, so I assume that is old 2FP data.

I'd venture to guess the A to you Q will be 15x.

Wouldn't it have to be same/same @ 15X???

Doesn't a USO ST-10 w/MOA reticle subtend the same as a SN3 1.8-10 with the same reticle when on 10X?

Answer...
YES

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Kirk...actually the NF 2FP reticle is intended to be used at max magnification. </div></div>

You answered your own question there. The FFP ret is useable at all magnifications and the SFP is only useable @ 1 magnification. Therefore the two will intersect in size only @ 1 place, max mag. When you see in the SFP is what the FFP will look like @ max mag, the FFP will only get smaller from there as you zoom down. It won't get any bigger.

Regarding line thickness, it all depends on if the FFP rets have the same specs as the SFP. Don't know if they do or not, but it might make sense for them to be spec'd thicker just because the SFP rets are pretty thin and if you shrink that down too much it's gonna get hard to see.

Ratbert- Thanks for the info. I was under the impression a FFP reticle was larger than a SFP reticle at max mag. Thanks for clearing this up for me. Nick-

This does not pertain to the specific NF scope listed above, but not all SFP NF scopes range at max magnification. The 8-32 and 12-42 range at 22 power.

I do not have a NF yet, but my current scope has no audible clicks or tactile feel when zooming on range, so there is always a "little" margin of error when trying to get on the exact calibrated power for ranging. Sometime "Max" can be a little shy of Max if you calibrate it. Of course FFP eliminates these types of concerns.

I have tested some SFP scopes which did not range correctly at <span style="font-weight: bold">any</span> power. They were designed to range at maximum power, but the power ring did not actually dial all the way up to the power at which the reticle would have been accurate for ranging.

For that reason, it's a good idea to test the ranging calibration on any SFP scope.

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

That article also describes how to calibrate the half-power point of a SFP scope for ranging, leads, and holding.

I should have made an effort to spell it out.
In order to see what a reticle would look like in the ffp on a sfp scope, you will have to turn it to the power that you range with. That way they should be the same size, hence, you are able to use both reticles to measure with.

Mr. Kirk and all, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Best,
Nick

S&B publishes a diagram that shows the thickness and of every line in the reticle in mils.

I believe what we're looking for here is the same where Nightforce reticles are concerned. The actual line subtensions for the FFP (same at any x) and the SFP at max mag.

At least that's what I want.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B publishes a diagram that shows the thickness and of every line in the reticle in mils.

I believe what we're looking for here is the same where Nightforce reticles are concerned. The actual line subtensions for the FFP (same at any x) and the SFP at max mag.

At least that's what I want.

--Fargo007 </div></div>

Go to the NF website, under downloads is a copy of their reticle manual. Details every dimension. This was prior to the FFP release.

I can't find any downloads section there, but I have a paper copy of the reticle booklet and they are listed PRE f1.

You point out correctly that the FFP dimensions aren't there, and may be different/larger. That's the information I'm trying to get so I can quantify precisely how much of a target the reticle will cover.

--Fargo007

Re: Question.. NF reticle size comparison 2FP v. 1FP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot/owned the Nightforce 2FP 3.5-15X50 w/md reticle. I'm considering the NF F1 with the same reticle. I know the the F1's reticle will appear to grow larger and smaller as magnification is changed....</div></div>
Yep, but don't forget that the target size will increase in direct proportion to the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...My question is at what magnification would the F1 need to be set at for the reticle to appear the same size as a md reticle in a 2FP NF?</div></div>
That depends on the subtention of the respective reticles'. For that you can do your own the math.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I like the size of the 2FP NF MD reticle and was wondering how much bigger the reticle will appear in a FFP F1. Don't have any dealers local, so can't make the comaparison myself. Thanks Nick- </div></div>
The best (and probably most expedient) way to get an idea of this would be to talk to someone in the Tech Dept. at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Nightforce</span></span> who can tell you the what the reticle subtention for the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">NXS 3.5-15X 50 SFP (2FP)</span></span> is and then compare it to the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">NXS 3.5-15X 50 F1 FFP (1FP)</span></span>. What you are looking for is the magnification at which the subtentions' are the same, or as close to the same as possible.

Keith