• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question of AR500 vs AR400

colin455

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2014
Slave Lake, AB Canada
Through work I have access to AR200 and AR400 from our supplier. My question is if it will stand up to .308 at varying ranges (200-1000yds)?
I know it's hardened, but will it stand up to hits? What thickness would be better - 3/8", 1/2...? Would the AR200 be satisfactory for handguns? 9mm, .45, .357..?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For a 308, AR400 in 1/2" will work at about 400 yards and out. Anything closer and you will really be better off with a target from 3/8" AR500.

For pistols, I think the AR400 will be fine. BUT, the AR200 will be a little soft in my opinion.

We don't use AR400 because we have punched some holes in some test plates we had at 100 and 200 yards with about all our rifles from 6mm, to 6.5mm, to our 300WM rifles. Just was not quality enough for our liking.

I did some experimenting using ar400 +1/2" thick with 5.56 up to 338 LM. My 338LM would punch holes clean through it until I got out to 500 yards in which it deformed(dents, not just pointy divots, REAL dents) the ar400 significantly. At +800 it was producing very slight surface deformation... it'd probably hold up alright for repeated use at 700-800 with the 338LM. Other calibers used were 308 and 7mm rem mag.

This question seems to keep coming up lately. For rifles at just about any distance the cost savings of going from AR500 to AR400 seems negligible. Sure it may take a few hits, but the longevity of the target life will eventually be compromised. Typically much sooner than AR500. So you end up spending more in the end to replace your AR400 with another or finally figuring out that AR400 doesn't provide the target life that you expected or required. Inevitably you are more than likely going to want to shoot steel closer and the structural integrity of the steel or the surface of the target will be damaged and then you are out of a target. AR400 is probably fine for handguns and rimfires, but not for centerfire rifles. Personally, the harder the steel, the better... to a point. You can actually get steel that is too hard and may get brittle when you "work harden" it with rifles. My guess is since you are in Canada you are trying to find a solid source for quality targets or steel...I'm sure that's more of an issue there than here since two vendors that make quality US made AR500 steel targets have already posted in your thread!

I just hosted a match and used AR400 steel for the targets, and they held up great. Just a few minor dimples on the target at 180 yards. Even the fast 6mm's did not affect the steel. Any shots less than 150 yards I would recommend AR500 though. This is just my experiences so far, my targets have yet to receive long term punishment. I paid just over $650 for a 4'x8' sheet and cut the targets with a plasma cutter myself......

I just hosted a match and used AR400 steel for the targets, and they held up great. Just a few minor dimples on the target at 180 yards. Even the fast 6mm's did not affect the steel. Any shots less than 150 yards I would recommend AR500 though. This is just my experiences so far, my targets have yet to receive long term punishment. I paid just over $650 for a 4'x8' sheet and cut the targets with a plasma cutter myself......

I've got this: 1/2" AR500 steel target 12"x20"

Make sure you paint it though. 6.5 Grendel at 600 yards doesn't even scratch it. So without paint, you can't tell where you hit. Little frustrating after sending a couple dozen pills downrange, seeing the splatter halo, knowing your hitting it, but no idea where.

Ah well... live and learn.