• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on 308 factory seconds

Rgrhog

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2022
Georgia
New to reloading; I picked up some 308 180 gr polymer Tip Spitzer Boat Tail factory seconds from MidwayUSA. Im looking at the loading data in my reloading book. As far as Rifle Data, would these particular bullets be referred to as SIE SPBT?

Do you have some pictures of the bullets? I don't think Sierra makes a 180 grain ballistic tip. I think both Nosler and Hornady do. That said starting with Sierra's data and working up should be fine too.

Reactions: Rgrhog
That's usually spire point boat tail abreviation. Looking across a lot of the ADI load data, which I'm not sure is shared or independently tested with Hogdon branding as Hogdon seems to have more listed cartridges, the sierra seem to be harder or a bit more resistive in sone way for weight, so it's probably a safe starting point for most other copper jacketed projectiles of like weight.

Use Nosler BT or AB for load date.
Bad advice !

OP, find out what bullet/maker you have . Midway sells "lead free" seconds and jacketed bullet seconds , proper data is important .

The product listing doesn't specify a manufatcturer. If they didn't come in some type of factory packaging, theOP will probably never know who made them.
After reading some of the negative reveiews of the seconds, I personally would steer clear of them. Too easy to find bullets on sale that are known entities

Use Nosler BT or AB for load date.

Bad advice !

OP, find out what bullet/maker you have . Midway sells "lead free" seconds and jacketed bullet seconds , proper data is important .

It’s not bad advice.
I've used Nosler's load data a lot for 308 Win. It works well for cross referencing load data. But I don't count on a single source of data for an unknown bullet. I'll use three or four manauls. Since there are a few polymer tipped bullets 2nds on midway it would be better to narrow it down to which one he got and go from there. Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

Thanks for all the input so far. I will upload a picture of the box of bullets in a min. Started off with the bare min powder load (44 gr of IMR 4895) and worked my way in .05 increments and so far I have achieved 1/2" shot groups at 25 yds without stress points at the base of the casings. Oh...and still have all 10 fingers!

I use the same load for my sierra's 168 grain bthp for seconds
Still have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs
Just work up your loads and watch for pressure signs
Oh I also check the diameter of the seconds

20230924_203013.jpg

Use jacketed bullet load info , not for solid copper and you will be fine .

Reactions: hino895 and Rgrhog
I don't have a current Hornady load manual on hand and Hodgdon's, Nosler's, and Sierra's load data starts with a much lighter charge using IMR 4895. 44.0 gr looks close to max on some, well over on others. I'd keep an eye for pressure signs. Good luck.

Reactions: Haney
What source are you using for your load data ? I don't see IMR 4895 listed for 308 in the Hornady book 11 . The Lee book lists 44.7 as max and starts at 40.5 .

Edit: Just noticed a similar question has been asked .

I saw "30-06" written on the box. Just to confirm are you loading for a 308 Winchester or 30-06? The title of the post threw me off.

From the Hodgdon site . This is for Sierra bullets, they list the SST you have but no data for IMR 4895.

1695642062373.png

I saw "30-06" written on the box. Just to confirm are you loading for a 308 Winchester or 30-06? The title of the post threw me off.
I never noticed that , good catch . That changes everything .

30-06 data , Sierra bullet .

1695642316238.png

Reactions: Rgrhog and xsn10s
I stand corrected, I first loaded with the Varget starting with 44 grains and on the second load moved on to the IMR 4895 with 45 grains using 180 gr bullet that I posted.

Make shift target with standard spray paint at 25 Yds. Ballistic eye pro, head pro, full body armor and steel gloves, all the standard "nube" equipment.