• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on .308 long range

3me

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
KC
www.3me.us
I am old school, I guess...but not too old to learn. For a long time, I have been shooting a load that closely duplicates the military M852. At a max of 600 yards, I have good luck with it, and about the only thing I have changed through the years is to switch to molly coated bullets.

It now looks like our range is going to expand and I will have the ability to shoot farther. What bullets should I be testing if I want performance at 1000m? I have 1:10 twist, so I would think I can stabilize the long heavy bullets, but perhaps I am wrong. Should I go to the 175 grain bullets or jump all the way up to the really heavy ones? I only target shoot, so hunting is not an issue on this rifle. Recommendations? Thanks.

Re: Question on .308 long range

185 Bergers or 190gr Sierra/Noslers.

The 1/12 twist will stabilize both.

I'm having very good luck with the Noslers at the moment.

The Nosler Custom Competition 190gr Match BTHP version? Thanks

Yes, the 190 Nosler CC's

Purchased with some other stuff in a group-purchase last year, ~$.13 ea. I think. Shoot more!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am old school, I guess...but not too old to learn. For a long time, I have been shooting a load that closely duplicates the military M852. At a max of 600 yards, I have good luck with it, and about the only thing I have changed through the years is to switch to molly coated bullets.

It now looks like our range is going to expand and I will have the ability to shoot farther. What bullets should I be testing if I want performance at 1000m? I have 1:10 twist, so I would think I can stabilize the long heavy bullets, but perhaps I am wrong. Should I go to the 175 grain bullets or jump all the way up to the really heavy ones? I only target shoot, so hunting is not an issue on this rifle. Recommendations? Thanks. </div></div>

Start with the basics and work up from there. Sierra 175g MatchKings have been and remain the gold standard for many years for a reason. Another long range favorite is the newer Hornady Match 178g bullet which displays a pretty significant ballistic advantage over the 175g SMK. If you get the 175g SMK moving at about 2,650fps it will get to 1,000yards in pretty good form going subsonic just before 1,000yards. The 178g Hornady Match on the other hand at 2,650fps will still be supersonic at 1,200yards. AFAIK not even the best Berger 175g Match are as good but I have not loaded any Bergers yet.

I,d go with the 190s.Small advantages go along way @ 1k. My 26in factory rig likes 43g varget, my buddies 26in rock creek likes 41.8g 4064.