• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question on a safe!

sgj2025

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
west,ky
Is a fire resistant safe worth the extra price? Have narrowed my choices down between a liberty presidential and a brown commercial b grade. Liberty is fire lined and the brown is not, both of these safes are priced 100 dollars of each other. The liberty is a new hold over 2006 model. I have a fire safe for pictures and family heirlooms and I have heard guns that go through a house fire even in a fire resistant safe are usually ruined. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Liberty 980#, Brown 1010# unlined, lined is 2800# and 1300 more dollars.

thanks steve

Re: question on a safe!

I have a AmSec BF series safe that has a 90 minute fire rating. Its better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

I don't know about "most guns being ruined" in a fire safe. Most data I have seen is that these safes are designed to keep temperatures below 400 degrees in the "rated" timeframe. I believe most woods start to char at 380 degrees, and 60 - 90 minutes is plenty of time for the fire department to get there. I have a liberty safe rated at 90 minutes in 1300 degrees, and I doubt that it would ever be that long before fire was put out. I think I paid $1500 for mine, and many of my guns are worth more then that individually, that is what made me go for the fire safe. I used to have multiple Homak sheet metal safes, they don't make one big enough for all of them, and they would definitely not protect the guns from even a short fire.
Buy the best safe you can afford, save up for one if not, as all of your guns are going to be worth way more then the safe costs.

Fire proofing in fire safes is just standard sheet rock. You can line a non fire safe with multiple layers, use 5/8", and achieve same affect. ALL sides of safe must be covered though, but you might get away without doing the floor if it's on concrete.

Recon1

here is a quote from the AmSec website about my safe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mercury Class III fire protection of 1275°F for 90 minutes. Designed to maintain an interior temperature of less than 350°F.</div></div>

Now I dont think any of my firearms would be ruined at under 350°F for 90 minutes.

My Liberty has a fire rating. But I can't quote it off the top of my head. The Liberty also has a "heat tape" that seals around the door like a gasket in case of fire.

+1 0n the amsec BF. Just bought one. Very secure 1/2" door plate and fire protection. I did alot of research and these seemed like the best value i could find.

I'd ask myself what am I more concerned with - fire or theft? The Brown, being a "B" will have .25" body and .5" door. Liberty's Presidential should be 7 Gauge body, or roughly .18" not sure about the door. I doubt your smash and grab will get into either one, but the Brown would afford more for theft and the Liberty for fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Buy the best safe you can afford, save up for one if not, as all of your guns are going to be worth way more then the safe costs. <span style="font-weight: bold">-Agree</span>

Fire proofing in fire safes is just standard sheet rock. You can line a non fire safe with multiple layers, use 5/8", and achieve same affect. ALL sides of safe must be covered though, but you might get away without doing the floor if it's on concrete. <span style="font-weight: bold">-Most safes this is true, but higher end like Brown and Graffunder will used a concrete type fill, AMSEC has "Drylight" and Sturdy uses some insulating fiber material.</span>

Recon1 </div></div>