• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on AR upper sale to CA.

juicehead2004

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Vegas,Nevada-U.S.A.
Not sure if this is in the correct forum but i wasn't sure where to put it. I have a RRA Entry Tac. upper receiver for sale, it is the legal 16" and in Nevada does not require any pinning or welding of the flash hider, and someone living in CA asked if it was legal to sell it to them there. I have no idea the crazy laws out there and don't want to ship anything to anybody without first knowing if it is legal. Could someone who knows for sure please chime in here and let me know so i could inform him. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Re: Question on AR upper sale to CA.

No i'm not joking, i have no clue the laws out there and just wanted to make sure i'm not breaking any.

Thanks Parga, i appreciate it.

Uppers are good to go in any condition, even pistol length is gtg. Go to calguns.net for all the info you will ever need

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uppers are good to go in any condition, even pistol length is gtg. Go to calguns.net for all the info you will ever need </div></div>

If you don't have a lower receiver, specifically sold as a pistol ... and you DO have other lower receivers (not marked as a pistol), I'm thinking that a short-barreled upper (barrel + muzzle device under 16") would be a potential NFA violation (anywhere in the country) without an SBR tax-stamp.

But that would be a problem for the purchaser to resolve, not the seller.

The upper is fine, it is the buyers responsibility to know what they are attaching it to and if that attachment constitutes an illegal firearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The upper is fine, it is the buyers responsibility to know what they are attaching it to and if that attachment constitutes an illegal firearm. </div></div>

this is exactly it. selling the upper in any configuration to a california resident is fine. the buyer needs to know what he can and can't with it depending on his lower registration status or configuration.

Thanks again for the responses guys, like i said i thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure before i did any sort of transaction. Thanks again for all that helped out..!!

If it is going on a lower that is registered as "preban", then it should be OK. The flash hider needs to be pinned, or not detachable (I guess they're afraid you're going to screw it off and screw on an evil suppressor). If it is going on a "postban" lower, then I believe the total package is limited to how many "evil" features it has. These include: collapsable butt-stock, flash hider, bayonette lug, detachable mag, pistol grip. Now if it is going onto something where the magazine is not "detachable", then it is no longer "an assault weapon" and the rules don't apply. Obviously the barrel needs to be 16" or longer. As stated above, it depends on what lower receiver it is going to. When I still lived in PRK, I was able to order a 16" pre-ban upper from Bushmaster without any trouble. No questions were asked about what it was going on, so as a seller, I don't think you will have any trouble.