• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question on AR/Varget load?

judgedelta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Mississippi
I found a guy on ARFCom touting a 25.6 gr. Varget load for a 69 gr. SMK claimed to be .35 in his RR Predator Pursuit, one of which I have. This is not over the max load for a .223 bolt gun, but has anyone shot this in an AR? I've loaded up 10, but wanted to ask before touching them off. Thanks...

Hodgdon lists 26.0 gr of Varget as max for a 69gr bullet at a COAL of 2.235. You should be fine at 25.6 gr but it is always a better idea to work up a charge weight.

I found a guy on ARFCom touting a 25.6 gr. Varget load for a 69 gr. SMK claimed to be .35 in his RR Predator Pursuit, one of which I have. This is not over the max load for a .223 bolt gun, but has anyone shot this in an AR? I've loaded up 10, but wanted to ask before touching them off. Thanks...

That load is definitely max but should still be okay. You need to keep in mind that there are often fast and slow lots of varget and a slow lot 26gr would be fine but a fast lot 25 might be too much.

I would try them but be cautious and in the future start at 24 with 52s, 69s and 77s.

Thats a stiff load to just try without working up to it. I would take the time to make at least 2 or 3 rds and work up to that charge.

I personally would not go this hot, and is just not needed IMO.

One of my best nodes with my 60grn vmax bullets is 23.8 varget and ive used it all the way out to 600yards sub moa no problem

I loaded up some 60 gr. Sierra varmint bullets with the 23.8 gr. load. First group was .4 inch. Rifle likes the 60-gr. bullets... Have to find some vmax. Those little .22 flat-base bullets are a pain to load. I'll save the 69 gr. SMK for predators or hogs. Thanks all.

I hear ya on the flat based bullets. If you dont chamfer the inside of the case mouth just right you will start to see small copper shavings on your press when seating the bullet.... Then you know youre f#cked and your brand new bullets have gouges in the copper jacket.

I loaded up some 60 gr. Sierra varmint bullets with the 23.8 gr. load. First group was .4 inch. Rifle likes the 60-gr. bullets... Have to find some vmax. Those little .22 flat-base bullets are a pain to load. I'll save the 69 gr. SMK for predators or hogs. Thanks all.

My pet load is 25g of varget with 77g SMK. I could go higher in the charge but I was losing accuracy out of my AR. I would imagine going higher, as said above, would be fine. But definitely work your load up.

Twitchy, what kind of velocity are you getting? I run 24 of Varget for 2700 and 24.5 gave me 2750. I've also ran 25 with an 80.5 for 1K, at 2800.

PS. The OP's load sounds okay. Sierra's max is 26.1 grains but I would still work up my own load.

Last edited:
Twitchy, what kind of velocity are you getting? I run 24 of Varget for 2700 and 24.5 gave me 2750. I've also ran 25 with an 80.5 for 1K, at 2800.

PS. The OP's load sounds okay. Sierra's max is 26.1 grains but I would still work up my own load.

It depends on the AR I'm using, but the rifle I originally worked the load up for (WOA 18" SPR/Wylde chamber) gave me right at about 2700 fps. I was planning on going with a higher charge to get about 2800 fps, but I started losing accuracy. What barrel and chamber are you using?

EDIT-I guess I should say that when I first worked up my load (years ago), sierra's reloading manual listed 25g as max varget load/compressed for the 77g. I haven't seen any newer manuals since I found what worked for me and stuck with it.

Last edited:
I run 23.5gr of varget under a 75gr BTHP @ 2569 little slow. But it shoots good.

I've shot 24 and 24.5 but it didn't shoot as good.

My new favorite pet load is a sierra 65gr spitzer over 24.5gr of varget. Haven't chronoe'd it yet but based on shooting it to 300 yards it's probably around 2700. Shoot's great and hits steel pretty hard, this will be my new 3 gun load.

Btw, Using a 5.56 chamber with an 18" barrel.

ETA: 25.0gr of varget shot good with the 65gr. too but 24.5 shot just a touch better. 25.5 it really opened up. I might do a little more load development see if i can find something in between to gain a few more fps.

Last edited:
I think Sierra lists 23.9 as max with a 77. I'm shooting Wylde chambers from Rock River. I'm not sure what barrels they are using, either Wilson or Douglas, I think. Both are stainless match barrels. I haven't chronographed my new upper but my groups are good out to 600 and I don't have the flyers at 600 I had before.

Although the bullet I'm using is lighter, 55gr Hornady SP w/ Cannelure, my best group's with Varget, using 25gr, CCI BR-4 primers, and my once fired LC brass grouped 1.12in at 100yds and 1.9in at 200yds(outside edge), and that is a minimum load from my Lymans manual. Hodgdon's site called for 25.5grs with 55gr SPR SP which I take it are Speer rounds. Speeds averaged about 2900fps, mainly around 289x to a smudge over 2900. Had no issues with it. It's hard to come by so I've been a bit reluctant to experiment beyond that right now.

Rifle used is a 20" AR 15 w/ 1:9 twist, free floated barrel heavy barrel.

Last edited:
Very impressed with the safety conscious attitude of this site's members. Big +1 to you guys!

Safety first, work up slowly and look for signs of stress on your brass and rifle.