• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Question on Barrel Length/Round Choice

remau308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
Carrollton, Georgia
Alright, I have my mind set on a new build soon. My first build when I began to get started is a .308 with a 24" barrel, and it takes 11-12 mils to reach 1000 yards depending on the day. Well, I want to build the next one with a better round, and I was thinking the .260 or .243. However, I want to run it on an 18.5" or 20" barrel. Would it be completely pointless? Meaning, will the ballistics on the .260/.243 not outperform my .308 because of the shorter barrel?

Re: Question on Barrel Length/Round Choice

Just my opinion, but the .243 really wnats a 24" or better barrel to get the max velocity without burning up the tube in short order...

You want the higher velocity to get the performance on the .243/6mm pills.

the 260 will outperform your 308 dispite the shorter barrel.

Just what I've found while using my 15" barrel XP-100 LR pistol to 1000 yards with a 140 Hornady BTHP I have as good or better ballistics than the 308 rifle guys and my pistol is only running 2525fps. The 260 doesn't mind the shorter barrels and is still very accurate and carries very well. With your 18" - 20" barrel you're planning you'll still be really happy and won't be giving anything up to a longer barreled 308. I'm needing 38.5 moa to a 1000 with a 100 yard zero. Never tried a short barreled 243 so can't offer any help on that.

Topstrap

Thanks guys, I'm glad to hear the .260 will outperform the .308 even with a short barrel. Now, how much better will it actually be? A 15" pistol is getting 2525 fps. About how much more would say the 18" add to the velocity on the .260?

Any of them will perform with a shorter barrel but you won't really realize the advantages of the 6.5' and 6's until you run up to 24" or better. They will out perform a .308 win with a short barrel but with a longer barrel it seems like cheating when it comes to wind calls.

I understand the question, and the answers so far are reasonable.

What I don't understand is what practical reason you would have for reducing barrel length.

Simply put, longer distances favor longer barrels. Unless there's a really good and practical reason to contradict this, the logic of deliberately choosing a shorter barrel eludes me.

Greg

my 24 inch .260 need 6.5 mils to 950 yds with a 142 at 2850 FPS. way flatter than the .308 and much less recoil too.
hope this helps.

It is my understanding that you can get the same accuracy out of a short barrel that is more stiff, reducing barrel harmonics. But if you want to get the most velocity/performance and are not worried about barrel length, then a long barrel is for you. I have a 7rm that has a 28" and 1" contour. Is a beast but have gotten 3200fps with 168gr Bergers over r22 and fgmm primer. Fantastic accuracy and light shoulder punch.