• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question on barrel shortening/stress relief

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
I'm thinking about shortening a 26" stainless steel barrel to 22", recrowning and re-threading it.

Does this work mean that barrel will need to be stress-relieved afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Question on barrel shortening/stress relief

Rprecision - thanks for that.

Does shortening affect the barrel harmonics/accuracy?

This is a Border Heavy Target barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rprecision - thanks for that.

This is a Border Heavy Target barrel </div></div>

Yes it will. If it is rimfire you will need to retest ammo for accuracy and if it is centerfire then you will need to retest ammo by changing powder charge ammounts for the optimal load for your new barrel length.

Hope this helps

Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rprecision - thanks for that.

This is a Border Heavy Target barrel </div></div>

I purchased a Mason cutter/recrown tool kit a few years ago. I have since cut all of my 26" barrels down to 18" or 20". Each job seemed to me to make the gun more consistent. I am more concerned with accuracy than velocity so the shorter barrels are my pick. I would assume that a good machinist would make a much more uniform cut but the manual tool works fine IMO.