• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question on barrels

cmh2007

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Katy TX
I am working on a build for the wife. She finally wants to learn to shoot long range. I am building her a .22-250 and am looking at shilen barrels because they seem to be the only ones people have in stock. My question is...is it worth 2x the price to go with their stainless barrel vs CM barrel where according to them they go through the same build process. and it would appear that only the CM barrels are in stock in the 1:8 twist that i want

Do as you want but a word of advice I have seen several issues with Shilen prechambered barrels as of the last few years. I know their blanks were top notch but you may want to see if you can find what you want from a diff vender. Just my .02

As far as SS or CM the only diff will be in the added maintence of the CM accuracy potential all other being equal is the same.

There is a big difference in the Shilen Match and the Shilen Select Match. A word of advice is spend the $335 or whatever it is on the best barrel you can buy. Remember you can save up later to buy a nicer stock or scope but not the barrel. Once it is chambered and on it is over.

Save where you can, but the barrel is not the place to skimp.

Russell

I'd have to agree with Russell on this one (especially since he's building my rifle). I've had kriegers and this new one is a rock creek, from what I've read the prechambered shilen's are somewhat lacking, no first hand knowledge of them however.

Just went through this myself. I ended up ordering a Mullerworks from Bugholes. He told me to pick one out and go with it, not worrying about brand and groove count. He said there are smiths that want 5r barrels an smiths that specifically say don't EVER send me a 5r barrel. You ask 10 guys you could easily get 10 different answers.

all i was looking for was the quality of their CM blank vs their stainless blank. its going to be chambered by my smith.