• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question on bedding a stock

Bayou1535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
MW
I purchased a 700 and want to upgrade to a HS stock but was curious about bedding the new stock. I want to shoot out the barrel first before getting it trued and didn't know if if bedding a stock and later have a truing/barrel job would have ill effects. Thanks

Re: Question on bedding a stock

The odds of the recoil lug being in the same location after removal and truing are pretty much slim to none. At least the lug area should be rebedded but its just as easy to rebed the whole thing for the best results.

Considering the H&S stock has an aluminum bedding block, I would drop it in the stock, and go shoot it. You might be surprised. You could end up saving a few bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the H&S stock has an aluminum bedding block, I would drop it in the stock, and go shoot it. You might be surprised. You could end up saving a few bucks. </div></div>

I've had several rifles in HS stocks. None of them were bedded, and all of them shot well.
By the time you're ready for a new barrel, you might just want a new stock too. Then you could probably sell the HS quicker if it wasn't bedded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the H&S stock has an aluminum bedding block, I would drop it in the stock, and go shoot it. You might be surprised. You could end up saving a few bucks. </div></div>
If it aint broke don't fix it.

Buy more ammo and burn out that barrel ASAP(practicing).

Then call us
smile.gif

..or any other great builder on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stockdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot out barrel first, then go custom and bed it </div></div>

What he said

Sounds like to shoot her out then and then worry about it later. Now to decide whether to get an 700P or 5R HS takeoff.