• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Bergara HMR

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    The pro has what Bergara considers to be their “custom” quality action ( premier action ) and trigger tech trigger, while the regular hmr has their cheaper action and factory trigger.
    The barrels might also differ in quality but I don’t really know for sure.

Reactions: Maggot
    The pro has what Bergara considers to be their “custom” quality action ( premier action ) and trigger tech trigger, while the regular hmr has their cheaper action and factory trigger.
    The barrels might also differ in quality but I don’t really know for sure.
    Sounds bout like $500 worth of difference, thanks

HMR has a chrome molly barrel pro has a stainless barrel besides the action and trigger differences.

Look at fhe Tikka super varmint.

Bergara's reputation ain't been all that as of late.

In regards to Bergara, the HMR Pro has some nice upgrades over the standard HMR. In addition to what's already been mentioned, the HMR Pro bolt is fluted, swappable floating bolt head, the HMR is made in Spain and the HMR Pro in made in USA. A big downside (in my opinion) to Tikka, is they don't use AICS mags and their proprietary mags are expensive for what they are. If that doesn't matter to you, that's ok too. They are great rifles, but that is a big turnoff to me. If your budget is limited to the HMR Pro price point, it's a good choice, however some folks either may have received poor examples of quality or they can't shoot.

If you can stretch your budget a little, you will be better off going for an Origin or CDG with a prefit (shouldered or barrel nut). I have heard many good stories of Bergara customer service taking care of the customer but there are also folks who aren't satisfied. It's most likely they are aholes and let their emotions run their mouths. With mass produced "anything", there is always a statistical probability that something isn't up to par.

That being said, the HMR Pro that my girlfriend received is performing superbly. Is it a sub half moa rifle? No, but that wasn't our expectation. Here's a post I made on recent load development with it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bergara-hmr-pro-6-5-creedmoor-load-development.7181261/