• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on choosing dies

Mauser48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2018
I'm looking into getting a quality set of 223 dies and have some questions on the best way to go. I know for sure I want to get a mandrel die to control neck tension. My main question is what die do you guys recommend to do the shoulder bump portion? It seems my options are a standard full length die with the expander removed, or a bushing die (redding type s). I guess the idea with the type s is that you can size the neck down a couple thousands under your target ID of the mandrel to avoid over working the brass. I'm not quite sure how much more a regular full length die would size down. Prices are actually pretty close between the two dies and I want the redding competition seating die as well. This is my first venture into more specialized dies so I'm not sure what the best route is for me. Also, as far as shoulder bump goes do you guys just adjust the die up and down or do you like to use the redding competition shell holders? I can see the ease of use with the shell holders but is there a functional difference between these two methods?

For quality 223 dies - SAC 223 die and area 419 shell holder system

I have the Redding shell holders and they are not as accurate as the 419

I use the SAC die and 419 shell holder set. I don’t know that 419 shell holder is useable with presses other than the zero. At least not the set I got.

The Redding Competition seater is a good choice.

I have settled on Forster BR dies with the micrometer seater. Their seater have given me the best length and runout consistency.

On sizing, I run it with the expander out and use a dedicated mandrel die to set the neck tension. I would rather do this to make sure the inside of the neck is concentric vs outside with a bushing.

I use the co-ax press so I can leave dies setup and swap them out in a second, then the only thing I’m ever adjusting until a barrel is shot out is the micrometer seater as I chase throat erosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: marchboom
I mean this is snipers hide, you cannot reload without custom dies LOL
I figured so. Honestly, I'm shooting pretty good with ammo from Lee dies. I need to do some measuring but the neck tension fees pretty tight. I think just controlling that better would get me some better consistency.

Reactions: Shrike and simonp
If you have a factory type chamber off the shelf dies are fine. Me I really like Wilson dies you can use SAC or Redding bushings with them too. If precision is the game arbor press seating dies helped my groups noticeably. I like the seating stem fitting the bullet precisely and the better feel if something isn’t going together properly using an arbor. Wilson pretty much specializes in dies except for a case trimmer, case gauge couple other little things. I like the fact that they don’t try to build everything on the bench but concentrate on one area.

Reactions: R_A_W