• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns question on grip stippling

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
For you folks that have stippled your own pistol grips I was wondering what you do about the checkering that is already on the grip like on the Glock. Do you fill that area in with a compound or sand it down??
I have several P-Mags im gonna practice on first to get my pattern down and get use to the heating iron , I was just wondering what to do about the existing checkering

Sand it off. Dremel works great, just don't stay in one area to long.

23kah3d.jpg

under cut and polished:)
244vcig.jpg

2vijzpy.jpg

Another one I did

sm65c9.jpg

Last edited:
Good question - been looking and researching this myself and have seen it done both ways in various videos.
send down/off the old checkering and logos etc. or just stipple right over it.
Now I just need to find the "best" tool to do it - some of those stipple jobs really come out nice and imho can
improve your grip on things and look good doing it. The "barK' looks really neat.

I used a flat iron tip to just melt and flatten the factory textures. It doesn't have to be perfect underneath, just try to keep it fairly level. Everything needed was in the kit Lowes sells for about $15.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 13
Leave it alone and stipple over it. No need to sand it. I practiced first on the cap from a water bottle and then went to the +2 magazine base plate, then the pistol. I started with a G 38 that had the finger grooves carved off with a paring knife. Previous owner. Then moved on to my new Gen 3 G 27. FWIW, I would not stipple very high up on the backstrap (Stop where the checkering stops), it get REALLY uncomfortable after a hundred rds or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20130411_202906_293.jpg
    IMG_20130411_202906_293.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20130411_202725_986.jpg
    IMG_20130411_202725_986.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I sand it down with the Dremel until I get the contour that feels right to me, then stipple it.