• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on gun coating ( painting )

Re: Question on gun coating ( painting )

"Best" is a term that is really hard to define, particularly when it comes to the guns and ammo industry; you will find the full spectrum of opinions on just about everything. Some opinions are strongly based on experience, some by hearsay, and even some that are just empty. It's not easy, but you have to do your best to sort the objective opinions from the baseless ones.

Do a 'hide google search on duracoat and cerakote, and you should find plenty of info. There are a few more products in addition to these 2, but they are pretty similar to duracoat or cerakote in most aspects. Be aware that you may come out more confused about which coating you should use, because like I said, the opinions are vast and highly variable.

Each coating has pros and cons; there is no universal ideal product that exists. Some cons may be prohibitive for you. In my case, I can't use cerakote for large items because I don't own a dedicated curing oven, and they won't fit in the one in the kitchen. From all that I have read, a baked on finish is inherently more durable than one that cures at room temp, which is logical. But that doesn't mean that air cured coatings rub off easily. I chose duracoat because it can air cure, but it takes like 3 weeks or longer for it to fully cure. This wasn't a big deal for me, because you can handle the painted item less than an hour after painting. The fresh finish is by no means delicate, but still do your best not to rub the shit out of it for a month. The application is pretty easy with an airbrush.

Although it is pretty simple, keep in mind that using duracoat or any other coating is not idiot proof, and mileage varies quite a bit between users. Just like anything else, good results are the product of practice.

stick with Cerakote...even the air cure stuff is completely set in 5 days instead of 3 weeks like Duracoat.
The tests on their site were good enough for me. only downside, its so good, once it's on, sand blasting or layering are about your only options to take it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cerakote site</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The unique formulation used for CerakoteTM Firearm Coatings enhances a number of physical performance properties. Each of these properties is rigorously tested to guarantee that CerakoteTM products remain at the forefront of the firearm coatings market. To prove CerakoteTM is the leading firearm coating, NIC hired an independent military testing facility to perform a blind side by side comparison between CerakoteTM, KG Gun-Kote (listed as competitor 1) and DuraCoat Firearm Finish (listed as competitor 2). In every test CerakoteTM out performed both competitors products. All tests were performed in accordance to the ASTM test listed in the photo. The complete test report is available for review by contacting our CerakoteTM Customer Service department.</div></div>

nic_wear_cycles_proof.jpg

nic_corrosion_proof.jpg

nic_flex_dur_PROOF.jpg

nic_cer_graph_PROOF.jpg

Cerakote. There are several very durable finishes, but how can you debate the test results? I have Cerakote and duracoat and the camo dips.

the camo dip has been the least durable.
Duracoat has been pretty darned good
Cerakote has been excellent.

Honestly, I can't tell a different between cerakote and duracoat...probably cuzz I don't want to do the kind of testing that would take.:) I did try to sandpaper my duracoat barrel to preapint it. That ended up being more work than I bargained for...

Im kinda curious ive been debating to duracoat or cerakote my rifle on average whats pricing run to have someone do it for you?

I haven't used cerakote, but I have some experience with Duracoat. It sprays great out of my airbrushes and is definitely durable. I have found that it can be scratched, though. I'll find out how hard it is to reapply it when my rifle gets back from my smith. From the sounds of it, it's not something I'm looking forward to doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun270</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im kinda curious ive been debating to duracoat or cerakote my rifle on average whats pricing run to have someone do it for you? </div></div>

it is cheaper to buy your own small air brush kit and do it yourself (if you already have a compressor) and given that you have even a mild glint of artistic ability or creative drive. if you dont, by all means, no shame in outsourcing. I did my cerakote myself and had no trouble so i cant speak on prices one would charge to have it done. if you do decide to do it yourself...go light, long even brush strokes, not to heavy or it will bubble and crust. go light and just keep giving it more and more coats. the success would depend on the prep, for sure.

Very interesting, yet something I dont trust myself in doing (no space, equipment, etc) so anyone knowing someone that does a decent job would be appreciated as well. My biggest concern for my is a good pattern (which I doubt I could do myself).

As for costs comparison, I paint an entire rifle, scope, bipods and a couple of mags for about $250 for most camo paint work. Shipping not included.

For the type of abuse most rifles see, Cerakote or Duracoat will give you an excellent outcome. Duracoat is a bit easier to work with and comes in more colors. It is totally up to the individual.

Here is my 2 cents. I had a new parkerized 12ga that I bought to keep in my truck. After less than two weeks it was begining to rust. Had it Cera coated and now it has been in the truck for over 3 yrs without rusting. It does not get wiped with oil and come to think of it, I have not shot it since I put it in there. Thats too long. I need to do some 12ga shootin this weekend.
I also have some weapons with duracoat. They have not been stored in a vehicle for the same length of time but as of right now, they are holding up quite well.

Looks like Cerakote might be the winner, another question on the Cerakote how do you cure it, like stock, scope, thinks you dont need to bake.

Most CK must be baked (like in an oven). If you go that route, get a cheap oven thermometer and hang it in the oven so you know that your temp is right. A lot of ovens don't bake at a temp consistent with their setting.

I've done several projects with each product, each has it's pros and cons. In my experience, the CK (and/or Moly) are tougher..but not a ton.

The bake on finishes are great products, particularly if you are doing just one color (or a two tone) and if it is a metal part. Although, for many plastic parts, they will hold up fine at about 200 degrees. Now they have the air cure CK, which might be a good choice for plastic and scopes. I don't know much about it, as I haven't used that yet.

Anyone know if the air cured CK is as durable as the bake-on stuff? I doubt that it is. Is it as durable as duracoat?

I've actually done a camo project with heat-cured Moly. That was the last time I did a camo project with anything heat-cured.

For most of the projects I do now, duracoat is the best overall choice. It's close to as durable as CK, but easier to mix custom colors, more color choices, much easier to do camo, scopes etc. are all the same color, and I like the way it lays down.

When people questioned how durable duracoat was, I used to whip out my key fob. I got a wild hair and camo'd it when I was doing a camo job on a stock (digital urban night camo). After rolling around in my pocket for a year with my keys, it looked very good. People saw that and didn't have any more concerns. Unfortunately, I can't find the pic of it after a year of use but here's a pic of it right after I painted it:

DSC01631.jpg

ARPPreditor's price is very good for the amount of work that he is doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuddenDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like Cerakote might be the winner, another question on the Cerakote how do you cure it, like stock, scope, thinks you dont need to bake. </div></div>
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
Cerakote comes in two flavors - oven bake and air cure. The oven bake is more durable and the air cure is for items that can't be baked, i.e. - scopes, stocks, plastic parts, etc. Give the guys at Brownell's Tech Line a call. They can give you specific answers and tips on most, if not all, of the finishes you are looking at. I personally have had great results with their teflon/moly finishes. Best of luck.

Bob

</span> </span>

I cerakoted my rifle. It was the air dry kind and with good prep should be very durable. I have yet to scratch it and it has taken some pretty good hits.

Assuming I cannot bake my action and barrel, simply due to size, is Duracoat my only option? I haven't been all that impressed with it.

Any professional Cerakote that you recommend? I have a high end rifle that is stainless and parking is out of the question so coating is my only option. No, krylon is not an option.

Cerakote is the brand. Do you mean who can put it on for you? If so many of the smiths here on the hide can do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming I cannot bake my action and barrel, simply due to size, is Duracoat my only option? I haven't been all that impressed with it. </div></div>
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
Look up two posts above. Yes Cerakote comes in an air cure formula. There is also AlumaHyde II that is air cure as well as Duracoat.

Bob
</span> </span>

Found it.. this is a pic of my key fob a year later. You can see some scratches and wear, but that's pretty good wear pattern considering. Note the wear and scratches on the anodized keychain.

01zg.jpg

I will try to post some pics of the bolts that I've duracoated and their wear patterns. Although that is more applicable to this thread than a camo key fob, the key fob is a whole lot easier to carry around in your pocket and show people.

The only problem I ever had with duracoat was probably my fault. I probably didn't prep correctly and/or got the mix wrong. I re-painted the part and now it is wearing very well.

I will say that I think Duracoat sticks to plastic extremely well. I've had the "pleasure" of removing it from both metal and plastic...and neither were a lot of fun but plastic is really a pain in the ass..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming I cannot bake my action and barrel, simply due to size, is Duracoat my only option? I haven't been all that impressed with it. </div></div>

Try air dry cerakote.

Ok, I took some pics of my own guns that I've duracoated over the past few years so you can see what my experience has been. I don't have pics of projects I've done for others, but I can safely say that those projects have worn the same as my own.

My own projects are but a fraction of the total projects I've done over the last 4 years. I took all of these pics tonight. I tried to take pics of the highest wear areas. The other areas are in perfect condition. As mentioned before, prep work is the key.

In this post I'm not comparing my 3 gun events to say, being deployed, but I'm hoping to give a frame of reference. 3 gunning can be fairly rough on a gun..if only for a day or two at a time.

Here's my tactical shotgun. I painted this Swedish K, because the factory finish from Remington sucks bad. Since painting this gun, it has seen at least 6 3 gun matches, including an Iron Man 3 gun (3 day event in Boise). That equals approximately 1200 rounds. In the Iron Man, a member of the Army's SF shot the hell out of it..he put the rubber straps on it.

DSC04767.jpg

DSC04768.jpg

DSC04769.jpg

Here's my 3 Gun AR. Since painting, I've shot 4 3 gun events, and approximately 1400 rounds. This gun looks pristine. Note the deflector mark.

DSC04770.jpg

DSC04771.jpg

This is my 260 bolt gun. I pulled the bolt so you can see it. This gun has about 500 rounds through it since painting. I've hunted with this gun (I'm tough on guns when hunting) a couple of times. There's not a mark on this gun elsewhere.

DSC04772.jpg

DSC04773.jpg

This next gun is my tikka 308. Between me, my son, and members of my family, this gun has had the crap used out of it. It's been taken hunting at least 15 times, numerous trps to the range, and countless rounds. I've personally crawled with this gun 500 yards (lasered) sometimes on top of the gun. These pics represent the only marks on the gun.

DSC04774.jpg

DSC04775.jpg

DSC04776.jpg

url]

I found a place here in Ky. within 2 hours of me that does good looking work. I am going to go to their shop and check it out. You guys might want to check out their web page they are called Parabellum inc.

post pics when you get it back - let us know how it went. BTW, what did you decide to do color/camo-wise?

For Sure, I will post pics. I like flat dark earth may do something with brown and a little black for shaddows. Right now I am building a muzzle brake it's a scaled down versionin of a Barrett 50 cal.