• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on how many shots to over heat the barrel

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
I'm staring to shoot beyond my 100yds as usual and I want to know how many shots will it generally take to heat the barrel to the point it affects accuracy? I'm shooting a SIG 556 with a standard 16in barrel with 1 in 7 twist.

Re: Question on how many shots to over heat the barrel

If its hot to the touch you might want to slow down.

Probably will just have to shoot it and find out for yourself. Those things are made to get warmed up. If you find when accuracy does degrade...Throw a tracer every fifth to get you back on target.
wink.gif

Just make sure that its a red tracer, as opposed to an orange tracer.
wink.gif

Seriously though dude, I would imagine that coming out of the delivery system you have described, the difference in accuracy is going to be pretty negligible.

I think as the barrel gets warmer and warmer, that level of precision is going to be a gradual change- not like you hit a magic temperature and all of a sudden accuracy just isn’t what it used to be- but again, coming out of an assault rifle to take silhouettes at 500 meters and closer, I would guess its not gonna be a real biggie.

You could always test it out yourself for your weapon and sights and ammo and whatnot, just use a big piece of paper to see the spread of the impacts. I’ve never concerned myself on this topic with an assault rifle, but I don’t claim to be any guru on this one either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm staring to shoot beyond my 100yds as usual and I want to know how many shots will it generally take to heat the barrel to the point it affects accuracy? I'm shooting a SIG 556 with a standard 16in barrel with 1 in 7 twist. </div></div>

It's not worth considering. That's not a super accurate platform to begin with, and the volume of fire required to overheat your barrel would be inconsistent with obtaining your best accuracy at any rate. I do believe that you'll do better with bullets in the 69-77 gr. range than will you will with the readily available 50-55 gr. stuff. Mine's fine for banging steel at the local matches, but a MOA rifle it's not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm staring to shoot beyond my 100yds as usual and I want to know how many shots will it generally take to heat the barrel to the point it affects accuracy? I'm shooting a SIG 556 with a standard 16in barrel with 1 in 7 twist. </div></div>

It's not worth considering. That's not a super accurate platform to begin with, and the volume of fire required to overheat your barrel would be inconsistent with obtaining your best accuracy at any rate. I do believe that you'll do better with bullets in the 69-77 gr. range than will you will with the readily available 50-55 gr. stuff. Mine's fine for banging steel at the local matches, but a MOA rifle it's not. </div></div>+1 "It's not worth considering"

with that particular gun I would say if you can touch it its still good, just my guess

I hold the back of my hand against the barrel. If I can't hold it there for a count of five, it's hotter than I like. How many rounds it takes depends on too many variables.

I used to shoot microloads (9gr of Unique with a 52SMK in the .22-250, intended to allow sustained fire at 100yd without overheating the barrel; and twenty-thirty rounds in ten minutes never got the barrel too hot to hold onto.

OTOH, these loads could not cope with anything more than the lightest breezes.

Greg