• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on hunting gun performance

tmhark

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2009
Hudson, NY
I'm new here, so here goes...

I've got a Rem 700 ADL 300WM sporter type rifle with light barrel and synthetic stock.

All "stock" except for self adjusted trigger ("breaks like glass" at a very light weight). Has a cheap 5-20x50 scope and a bipod. I've got maybe $600 tops invested in whole rifle.

I've killed many deer with this combo (some over 400 yards) but never did any serious LR shooting other than sighting in. 2-3 inches high at 100 lets me hold dead on to 300, at 400 I hold just over the back and knock them down.

Yesterday I tried some Fed Prem 165 Barnes TS factory ammo and shot a few 3 shot groups (.95 on the micro, that was measured farthest outside edge of holes). IIRC that would be a .65 group with taking away one bullet diameter, correct?

I have a picture but just saw the new rules so I won't post unless asked.

So, my question is, is there anything worth doing on this rifle? Should I try reloading for this limited use (kicks like an SOB 'cause it's so light) rifle?

My only complaint once the light barrel gots hot, it starts getting inconsistant, with flyers every shot or two. When cool, it shoots way better than I can.

Thanks for advice

Re: Question on hunting gun performance

Shoot five and do it by the rules so you can post them up.....hell shoot 10 shots to prove it to your self, that will really show where you need improvemnet. If it is you you will see your POI change as you flinch if it is stringing you will see it go higher.....wait 2-3 mins between each shot.....look into a better stock and you should see a large improvemnet in group sizes as well as shooting comfort.

Re: Question on hunting gun performance

IMHO,

Don't screw with it! Shoot it to get food on the table. Sub MOA deer rifles with light barrels are not too common.

If you want to get into the long range game get something that is cheap(er) to feed and practice lots. Burning out a perfectly good rifle to turn it into a 16 - 20lb LR rig is counter productive. Buy a Remmy 5R, Winny HBV, Savage 110 tactical or what ever floats your boat. Shoot it until you shoot better than it does, then up grade IT. LR rigs generaly do not make for good walking around in the woods guns.

Cheers,

Doc