• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on internet speed and wireless router.

springer01

Minuteman
Dec 27, 2005
Brownfield, Texas
I was just hooked up to fiber optic internet 40Mbps. That is close to what I am getting wired through my Netgear 802.11g 2.4 GHz router on a laptop running Win 7. But when I switch to wireless it drops to 17-19Mbps, is that much difference normal? Previously I was getting 8Mbps internet and it was that close to that speed wired or wireless.

Re: Question on internet speed and wireless router.

Direct connection is always faster than wireless and 17-19Mbps isn't bad at all.

What model router is the Netgear? It should say on the router or at least on the box.

I get about 20mbps with Fios and a wireless routher and my service is 15/5 so i am doing pretty good on wireless.

Check and see if your laptop's wireless card is capable of 802.11n. If it is capable of 802.11n, go and buy yourself a new router that supports 802.11n. 802.11g will only run max around 20Mbps and no more, and that is with perfect conditions.

Kelly

I just switched from DSL to Cable with 50Mbps and it sort of depend who you use to test it.

Speak Easy shows 20Mbps
Speed Test show 60Mbps
Xfinity Test show 52Mbps

Others tend to hover between 15Mbps and 20Mbps these are all wireless numbers with things like my Direct Tv connected, my TV it's self, PS3, etc,

I am using a Linksys / Cisco E4200 and it flies

SpeedTest is usually the one I go to most often. I will occasionally go to testmy.net for some more accurate tests. Shaperprobe is a program I use to see if my bandwidth has any shaping on it. If he is getting close to his advertised speed on his wired connection, with the right equipment, he should get about that with his wireless connection at the same site.

The 802.11G wireless standard is 54MB/s - And that's only IF your router does that.

My Netgear does though, I get decent speed with Comcast.

It is far slower than a standard DSL or cable wh ich is 100MB but technically 200MB if full duplex is run (and it always is)....

So wireless for now, will always be slower.

As soon as Comcast enables Gigabyte NIC"s I'll put GB nics in all my house computers too...but can't see doing that yet except for faster copying to my server...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just switched from DSL to Cable with 50Mbps and it sort of depend who you use to test it.

Speak Easy shows 20Mbps
Speed Test show 60Mbps
Xfinity Test show 52Mbps

Others tend to hover between 15Mbps and 20Mbps these are all wireless numbers with things like my Direct Tv connected, my TV it's self, PS3, etc,

I am using a Linksys / Cisco E4200 and it flies </div></div>

I just ran a similiar battery and in each case when my speed was shown slower there were advertisements for faster internet so those tests are null and void now in my mind....

But SpeedTest really does seem to come closest.

It all varies too, if they are in a Datacenter with Microsoft and it's Patch Tuesday or Friday then the test would not be valid either...time of day.

Agree on SpeedTest tho...

You are running an older wireless standard everything now is at least N rated. You should be getting a little faster than that with a G rated but it all depends on adapters, firmware on the router, modem, etc..If you want fast wireless go for N rating but make sure your devices are N rated too. I have not been able to saturate N wireless network yet..

Also you can have a 10000mbs service but it means nothing if you have high latency. Sadly for my location the latency here is pretty high so it makes no difference to go over a 5mbs service, as I was looking forward to getting 50mbs. You being in Texas you are looking at some of the latest and greatest in terms of internet speed in the USA.

A quick way to see what your latency is at just go to the search or run field in windows type ping followed by the website or IP. For instance running a ping test on snipershide would go like this:
ping snipershide.com

Which mine returns 56m/s which is pretty good for my location.

I know 802.11g is rated up to 54Mbps, but I've always been under the impression it will rarely get past 20Mbps. Unless you are talking about Super-G, which probably would.

lots of variables.

if you get closer to your wireless router does your speed increase?

have you used the wireless channel on your router with the least amount of distortion? if everyone in your neighboorhood is using channel 6. use either 1,3, 9, 11

have you updated the firmware on your router to the lastest verion, latest driver for your wireless card.

its endless to the troubleshooting

Distance isn't really changing it that much as I am only 15 ft from router. Haven't tried any other channels, but will just to see what that does.

I might try a new 802.11n router and see how that works, as this router is several years old. I can live with 20Mbps its plenty fast for what I need, but would like to get closer to 40Mbps. If nothing else I'll just run a wire to the location.

Thanks for all the info!!
Tanner