• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question on my Burris XTR rings. Is this right?

grooVe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2012
Colorado
So with my first real post here on SH, I figured I'd ask a rather obscure, nitpicky, question that has been bothering me ever since I bought my first bolt gun. Simply put it seems to me that my Burris XTR rings are a weird width. What I mean is that when I first place them on the base the leading edge of the ring aligns with the rails like this.

Being directional rings, I apply a little forward pressure before I tighten them down. However when I do this the rings slide forward JUST enough to cover the edge of the next rail.

I noticed this the first time I ever mounted them but assumed it must be fine. The gun shoots great and maintains its zero, however I've been getting weird wear on the edge of the rails. The base is an EGW and both it and the rings are aluminum.

I guess it just seems to me like a ring should be designed to interface with a specific number of rails and not slightly overlap onto one... but what do I know? It also doesn't make sense that one side of the ring has a short clamping surface while the other stationary side has almost double the surface area. So my questions are... Is this normal? Are Burris XTR rings a poor design? Is this the reason more experienced shooters tend to prefer steel bases over aluminium? Am I missing some other obvious issue or question?