• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes question on NF 3.5-15 x 50 NXS

eddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
NoVa
tried the search, but i most of what i found was on the 5.5-22 and spent the past 4 hours reading arguments.

at what magnification is the mil dot 1:1 where i can use it for milling on the NF 3.5-15 x 50 NXS? i read the 5.5 - 22x is true at 22x and then double at 11x and then quadruple at 5.5x, so where do the 3.5-15x fall into this?

thanks

Re: question on NF 3.5-15 x 50 NXS

I figured it would be 15x, but that's good to know. I just checked over the owners manual and didn't find anything about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tried the search, but i most of what i found was on the 5.5-22 and spent the past 4 hours reading arguments.

at what magnification is the mil dot 1:1 where i can use it for milling on the NF 3.5-15 x 50 NXS? i read the 5.5 - 22x is true at 22x and then double at 11x and then quadruple at 5.5x, so where do the 3.5-15x fall into this?

thanks </div></div>

where did you read that about changing powers and the conversion factors? I'd like to read that article.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tried the search, but i most of what i found was on the 5.5-22 and spent the past 4 hours reading arguments.

thanks </div></div>

where did you read that about changing powers and the conversion factors? I'd like to read that article.
Thanks </div></div>

It's simple math.

If it is 1:1 at 22x, when you cut the magnification in half (11x), you will need to multiply your mil reading by 2. If you cut it in 1/4 (5.5x), you will need to multiply your mil reading by 4.

For example. Let's say you're milling at 22x, the magnification for 1:1 on the NF 5.5-22x, and your target is 2 mils. When you cut the magnification in half or quarter, because the reticle does not change in size, that same target will be 1 mil at 11x, and 1/2 at 5.5x.

This is true but you need to double check on a measured grid down range. Then you can score the magnification ring with a file, or mark it with a paint marker.

Right, I've used this method for fast changing holdovers from 500m and in on larger, "tactical" targets. But for precision work you really need to dial it in, or field verifying and scribing matching marks on the power ring as suggested above.