• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Question on old 1939 colt Police positive

Awesymoto

Awesymoto outdoors
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Eye da hoe
sites.google.com
Hey,

I recently acquired a old Colt Police Positive ser# 158XXX which dates it to 1939 according to proofhouse.com edit called colt they said it was mfg in 1920
I'm running into an issue trying to figure out what cartridge it fires.
Its labeled (edit: misread it is)32 Police CTG but, there's a history between colt and S&W where cold would often label their gun 32 colt instead of 32 S&W. The Colt New police round is the same as the 32 S&W but both are different from the 32 Long Colt.

Does anybody know what cartridge is used on this handgun, its in great shape and I would like to go and shoot it, but do not know if its 32 Long Colt or 32 S&W

Thanks,

Awesymoto

Last edited:
Well friend, there are few cartridges that are so poorly covered on the web as the 32 CTG. It has been that way for quite some time.
The good news is that the 32 S&W long , 32 Colt new police and the 32-44 target should serve you equally well here.
The important point is that you remember that this in NOT the 32 long colt.
Have it checked out, confirm what I have written here for you and enjoy.

I misread the barrel it is 32 police ctg not 32 colt ctg. I purchased some 32 SW and will shoot on the 16th it looks great and is 93 yrs old. If it doesn't chamber the SW then I guess it's 32 long colt.