• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question on rings and base

SuddenDeath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Hartford, Ky.
Ok guys I know there is alot of guys on here that know there stuff so I want to ask the question I have a vortex pst 6-24x50 on order like alot of people, and I am just as ready to get it like everyone else, so I was wanting to go ahead and get the base and rings for it so I can slap it on and go shoot. I was wanting to use Mark 4 rings and I am not sure on the base, but whatever the base I think it has to be a certain height, so what height rings and base do I need to mount the scope to my Remy 700 and get it as close to the bore line that I need it. Thanks for any and all info.

Re: Question on rings and base

I used the formula in the sticky to estimate the ring height for my (future) PST 6-24x50 earlier as well...

Vortex's site lists the bell diameter at 2.2".
In my case, I measured .372" with a digital caliper from my base to my barrel. (I currently have a 1-Piece EGW 0 MOA base on a SPS Varmint). <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Note:</span> I made this measurement directly under the base , where the barrel is at its thickest diameter.</span>

The Mark 4 medium rings are listed at .84", which would give you .112" clearance (assuming your base is the same height).

If you're planning on running Butler Creek caps, add an additional .035 - .040" bringing your clearance to .072 - .077"

So, (unless I screwed something up here), you should be able to use any Mark 4 rings since there will actually be a little more distance between the bell of the scope and the barrel of your rifle from where I measured.

As a side note, I intend on going with Seekins rings.

With my current base height, I assume I can pull off using even the low rings, but I'm leaning toward picking up the medium rings to be safe.

Re: Question on rings and base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volatile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the formula in the sticky to estimate the ring height for my (future) PST 6-24x50 earlier as well...

Vortex's site lists the bell diameter at 2.2".
In my case, I measured .372" with a digital caliper from my base to my barrel. (I currently have a 1-Piece EGW 0 MOA base on a SPS Varmint). <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Note:</span> I made this measurement directly under the base , where the barrel is at its thickest diameter.</span>

The Mark 4 medium rings are listed at .84", which would give you .112" clearance (assuming your base is the same height).

If you're planning on running Butler Creek caps, add an additional .035 - .040" bringing your clearance to .072 - .077"

So, (unless I screwed something up here), you should be able to use any Mark 4 rings since there will actually be a little more distance between the bell of the scope and the barrel of your rifle from where I measured.

As a side note, I intend on going with Seekins rings.

With my current base height, I assume I can pull off using even the low rings, but I'm leaning toward picking up the medium rings to be safe. </div></div>
Thank you very much