• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on SPS stock mod**SHORT RANGE REPORT

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Hello, Just picked up the 700 SPS, the one with the flat bottomed plastic stock and high comb. Has anyone cleaned out the end section portion that touches the barrel? I was thinking if I should just shoot it without mods or clean it out before I do. Few minutes with a dowel and sandpaper.

I know it's a cheap stock and will have to do until I decide what stock system to go with.

On a side note, my CDI mod for the PSS should arrive today or tomorrow!

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Re: Question on SPS stock mod

Thanks for the link.

I had some time to fiddle with it today so I took a a dowel and sanded material off the front end. Right now there's no contact with the barrel. If I rest it towards the magazine, no contact, if I rest it towards the muzzle(bipod stub area) it touches. I will take a bit more off and test that. Temp fix until I decide on what stock to go with.

I actually used an index card since it's thicker.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I never wound-up modifying mine, but I did chat with a guy who did, and he basically did the same thing you have but used a dremel to shave down those ribs all the way back to the receiver.

Here's a link to some Bell & Carlson stocks that are really well priced and a lot of member's have and like. You can pick-up a pretty sweet stock for $200.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-&-CARLSON/Categories

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mark,

I never wound-up modifying mine, but I did chat with a guy who did, and he basically did the same thing you have but used a dremel to shave down those ribs all the way back to the receiver.

Here's a link to some Bell & Carlson stocks that are really well priced and a lot of member's have and like. You can pick-up a pretty sweet stock for $200.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-&-CARLSON/Categories

-Pat </div></div>

Looks good!

I was going to get the LTR but thought that it made no sense to pay 325 more for the stock, could care less about the flutes. Since I haven't fully made up my mind on the stock, I have to think over a couple of things-mainly do i want this one to have the detachable mag system. I just got back and fitted the CDI kit to my 700P last night, that was a treat and a half.

Right now, these are my choices and it depends on what configuration I want.

1. B@C, keep the hinged floor plate. (or good used LTR stock)(That gives me the end set up a tad over 100 cheaper than an LTR).

2. AI Chassis, stage II. Since I got this 325 cheaper than the LTR, I'm only into the AI for 650 or less. If I went with a stage I, I'm in it for about 350-that's nearly the cost of the CDI kit and then I would still be buying a B@C or used HS.

Gotta think---

I did luck out with the Leupold 1.5-5 SPR scope with Larue 104 that I was selling--traded it for a Leupold M3 with Seekins base and rings. Great scope for the rifle.

Mark

Mark

Well, here's the end product. I'll be on the range all week come Monday and hope to get a field report. Hopefully the screws Glen sent are in today or tomorrow and I can get the scope mounted up.

Until the Eagle stock pack comes in, the mouse pad/duct tape will do.

Mark

7/8" dowel, started with 40 grit and ended with 60, didn't feel to make it cleaner than that. I added layers of duct tape to the dowel to thicken it in areas that needed a tad more.
003.jpg

I was able to hit the range today to zero and see how she worked. used some 15 yo FGMM 168, 100 yard zero was .75. I then walked it back each 100 yards checking the M3 dials, right on out to 6, was using steel 12x12 plate, no worries. I didn't go past there since I only had so much of that ammo. I did notice that at the 3 and 4 the dials vs impact was about a half a minute low on the impact, evened out at 5 and 6.

Happy with the stock mod and performance.

Just wanted tp pass on the info if anyone is curious on the stock mod.

Mark