• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors question on the HK p7M8

jayjaytuner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Geneva, New York
am thinking about purchasing a p7m8....i dont know a hell of alot about them, basically wondering if theres a certain date code, or year that i should be looking for over the other, i see they were made in germany, and virginia.....will be for carry, and will be shot at the range often..

Re: question on the HK p7M8

Start asking yourself why there are no high round count shooters that prefer these.......

Good luck

IMHO,Excellent pistol, It would not be my first choice for a carry gun though, 8 round magazines, kind of heavy, and they certainly get hot in the trigger area with extended firing!. As far as date codes everyone wants the early ones but considering they are getting harder to find I would take what you can if the price is reasonable. Very accurate and beautiful trigger!

On some version the mag release is on the bottom of the grip (like a Ruger MKII) and on others it is it is behind the trigger guard (like a Ruger MKIII).

There is also a P7M13 that has 13 round capacity.

I don't know about date codes but did get to shoot a couple a friend of mine owns. It's an interesting pistol. The P7M8 felt good and pointed very naturally for me but the squeeze cocking would take a lot of practice. I ran three mags through one rapid (controlled pairs) and in a word <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">HOT</span></span></span>!!!

Extremely accurate. Compact, likely slimmest model available for concealability except maybe KAHR. The squeeze cocker may take awhile for some to master, however, you also use it to release the slide on a reload so that actually ends of being a bit quicker. (Not that it matters alot in a civilian confrontation statistically speaking) The squeeze cocker makes it completely safe to carry chamber loaded since the trigger cannot be actuated without it.
If you shoot alot it can get dirty so clean it or consider a guncoating such as Robar NP3.
The trigger and guard area do get very hot when firing alot. I usually start a blister at around 200rds/20minutes if I'm shooting it alot. The M8 model has a plastic guard to reduce the heat you feel from the frame but the trigger still can get toasty. The PSP model does not have that as well as having a smaller trigger guard.
I prefer the Euro style heal release for the mag; P7PSP model. Although the P7M8 lets you drop the mag quicker with the trigger finger, which is also ambi.
For CCW, it's great IMO.
None were ever made outside of Deutschland to my knowledge.

there is a P7M10 in 40 caliber too. i have an M13, love it, dont shoot it much. nice, heavy, sturdy. its my fav

everything said above and its two of my favorites (p7/m8 &m13). a milt sparks vm2 and good to go.there are some police tradeins that can save you a few bucks.they go from 900 and up. they are a great pistol.

we see them here at cabela's, but CDNN has them too. police refurb. i was in a sub shop and the state troopers there were carrying M13s. i put in trijicon sights in my m13, and MMC makes adjustable ones too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start asking yourself why there are no high round count shooters that prefer these.......

Good luck</div></div>

verily so..............

I shoot mine alot and have not had any problems with mine at all. Is there something that I should be looking for or maybe you can let us in on whats going to happen when shooting alot more rounds through mine. Yes it gets hot in the grip area behind the trigger but it is the most natural pointing, accurate handgun that I have outside of a couple of kimbers. I have thought about getting the robar treatment for mine but have not wanted to pay the coin.

This was one gun I purchased that I so wanted to love, being a big HK fan...but just hated. Yes, it was accurate, but just never felt right and just didn't work for me at all.

On the plus side, I sold it for more than I paid for it(used), so for once that part worked pretty well...
grin.gif

First off, awesome pistol, great build quality, and very accurate.

I had wanted one of these for the longest time. Fantasized about it even because the operating system was so trick. Finally bought one and quickly found out that the mystique was sorely overrated. Should have left it as a fantasy.

Fantastic handguns and well worth having. As for no "high round count shooters" preferring them...? A couple of the best shooters that I know prefer P7M13's. High round count? They got their skill somehow...

People tend to discount P7's because they get hot when you blow through a bunch of ammo quickly. Too much weight is given to that fact.

If the idea is to have an accurate, reliable, and easy-to-use handgun for self-defense, then the P7 is a good, although overly expensive (comparatively), candidate.

I had a P7M8 for a few years. Great pistol. It's about the same size as a small Glock. A lot thinner than most pistols and easy to conceal. The PSP version has a European bottom grip mag release. I would avoid that if you can.

One thing about the P7 and they are gas piston operated. If you plan on shooting tactical classes with high round counts say 4-500 rounds a day. You will need 2 pistols. High round counts will get the pistol hot enough you can't hold it.

Since it has no levers and everything is operated from the cocking handle does take some getting used to. Plus a added feature if someone that is not familar with it pick up the pistol and try to fire it without cocking it, the pistol won't fire.

Slide locks open on a empty mag. Reload and squeeze the cocking handle and the slide drops chambering another round.

I hate I traded mine. One of those that I shouldn't have let go.

Cut

Everyone should own a P7 at some point. They were revolutionary pistols almost 30 years ago and are still great shooters. I wouldn't want one as a military side arm, but they are good carry gun. The weight is an issue for many, but that combined with the gas delayed blowback system, low in the frame fixed polygonal barrel and hyper consistent trigger make it a fast and accurate shooter.

I bought a P7M13 about 20 years ago when I was a soldier in Europe and have had it back in the States with me since 1995. The magazines are bomb proof and it's still the fastest gun for me to shoot accurately and reload.

The squeeze cocking mechanism takes a little bit of getting used to, but it also acts as the slide release, making reloads super fast. The mag release is also ambidextrous and very easy to manipulate (straight down w/ thumb). The M8 model is slimmer and quite popular as a concealed carry gun. Still, in many ways the design is dated and honestly I don't think there's enough advantages to this design over the top modern pistols, so I think it requires a bit of a collector's appreciation to buy one these days.

I just picked up a P7PSP that was one of the "Saxony guns" (Returned by a German Police Department and re-sold in the U.S.). It only cost me around $600 at Gander Mountain. The only real difference is the Magazine release on the PSP is on the bottom of the Backstrap. Some say it's better for CC because you won't accidentally hit the Magazine release and drop your mag. Not sure about that but I love mine! Just shot it today for the first time and it's magnificent!!! Gets a little hot above the trigger after several mag-dumps but you just grab the trigger a little lower and it's fine.

They're ALL made in Germany but were imported into different States over the years. There really isn't a finer 9mm out there... IMO... FWIW. But keep in mind, I would NEVER own another Glock... I've given them 3 chances and just can't imagine owning another "Plastic" handgun.

That HK is the best pistol they have ever made. It's too bad they haven't come up with something so wonderful to carry and innovative since then!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillPrudden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP -

IMHO it is the finest civilian CCW handgun ever made.
</div></div>

Could not have said it better. This was designed as a carry weapon. I am surprised that people say it is too bulky. With the proper holster it is one of the nicest handguns that you can conceal. I have several 9mm and it is the most accurate shooter i have seen.

What you will notice is that people that have not even shot a gun will shoot well with the P7 and it makes you a better shooter. Your groups seem to magically tighten up. Double taps are a dream with the trigger.

If i need more than 9 rounds of 9mm in a self defense then i have much bigger problems. Most of other slim single stack 9mm's hold no more than 6-8 rounds either. So that is not a problem in my book.

I wear mine in a crossbreed holster and love it. Just taste the coolaid you might actually like it
smile.gif

i have a P7M13 and i´m very satisfied.
shot many thousands of rounds and it still looks like new.
in my humble opinion, the best pistol of all time.
i should buy a second one !

P7M8 never made in Virginia. Sterling, Arlington were HK USA importers, thus the import markings. Some people prefer P7 (or any HK product) made before BAE owned the company. Mid-Late 80's into early 90's are desirable to some. I can't remember when BAE took over. I have a 2001 P7M8 with 3k rounds though it without a hiccup. As far as I know, British Aerospace no longer owns HK-Oberndorf / HK-USA. My thoughts are that the BAE owned HK forgot about civilian sales and focused on Mil and that's when most people started hating HK. Yeah...I blame the brits.

I wanted one of these so bad, I got one, shot it, liked it, but I soon fell out of love with it. It was just a little to quirky to keep. Like others have said, its heavy, it gets hot, the finish sucks, mags are expensive and small. For me, there were better choices to have money tied up in.

Squeeze, press trigger and fire.

Keep trigger back to the rear, relax grip, then tighten grip....and watch what happens.

Please keep pointed in a safe direction
shocked.gif

VERY accurate,
Relatively HEAVY,
Get HOT as HELL,
Only EIGHT rounds,
You can own TWO G19s for the price of ONE P7M8.

Same here ....... traded into one - had to have it. Shot it for a few months, sold it.

very accurate
heavy
eight rounds of 9mm (ho-hum)
gets hot quick
don't loose the gas port cleaning tool

Sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do ....... buy a 4" or even 3" 1911 Springfield or used Les Baer in .45acp and you'll be money ahead with a true fight stopping carry pistol.

Just my .02 cents and worth exactly what you paid.

Just like CT and Tigerbike said. It's very heavy for an eight rounder. Damn accurate. About shooting at the range? Just make sure you bring some extra stuff to shoot when the P7 is cooling down. After two full mags, it gets mightly hot. I used to carry the P7M13. Sold it. No real regrets.

The P7 trigger design will allow the weapon to fire no matter which is squeezed first; trigger or cocker. IE, squeeze cocker then trigger (as per normal) weapon fires.
Alternately, squeeze trigger then cocker and weapon still will fire. Remove right grip panel to see the mechanism, will explain how/why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VERY accurate,
Relatively HEAVY,
Get HOT as HELL,
Only EIGHT rounds,
You can own TWO G19s for the price of ONE P7M8.
</div></div>

And given the choice of carrying my Glock 19, I still carried the HK a LOT.

Damn fine pistols if you ask me. Single action, light trigger, thin and flat for carry, don't take up too much room in the pants, and a true joy to shoot. What's not to like?

I certainly enjoy shooting the HK a lot more than the Glock. The Glock's main selling point is its light weight, and in that area, it does shine.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start asking yourself why there are no high round count shooters that prefer these.......

Good luck </div></div>
I'd shoot the hell out of an HK P7M8 in USPSA production if I had enough mags and a holster to do it. 8 rounds wouldn't really be a disadvantage anyway unless you miss a lot, because USPSA is limited to 8 rounds per shooting position and thus the 10+1 you're allowed in production is seldom useful.

The only thing that sucks about them is that you MUST use jacketed ammo. Other than that, it's one of the sweetest pistols ever made.

I have a couple of the P7 PSPs. That is the model with the heel release. The PSP model is available in two variants, an exposed heel release version and a heel release that is flush to the magazine floor plate and the blackstrap. They are great guns with a caveat. You need hands that are at least larger than average to shoot an HK P7 comfortably and well. The reason for this is that Heckler & Koch designed the P7 series of pistols for the West German Federal Police. One of the requirements for being a West German Federal Police officer was that the person had to be at least 185 cm tall, approximately 6 feet 1 inch. Consequently, Heckler & Koch designed the pistol for a person with larger than average hands. I have a friend with hands that are average to smaller than average. He consistently shoots low and to the left when he shots my P7. The distance form the front of the squeeze cocker to the trigger is to long for his hands.

To purchase a P7 I would suggest doing so at a gun show, if you can do that where you live. I consistently see factory refurbished ones with one magazine on the table of a large dealer at the Houston gun shows for about $700.00. Feel free to PM for details. P7 magazine are available for $40.00 to $50.00. The M8 magazines will not work in the PSP and visa versa.

One nice benefit of the P7 is it is the only handgun I can think of that I feel comfortable leaving in a glove box or center console without a holster. Tire gauges and trigger do not mix well, but with the P7 until the weapon is cocked it just a paperweight.

One last point, I was a bit rushed when I purchased the last refurbished P7 I have. I failed to notice that the muzzle crown was damaged. I am having a local gunsmith re-crown the gun because in my experience obtaining repairs form Heckler & Koch is too slow and too difficult, so inspect thoroughly before you buy.

Martin

I used to collect P7s (PSP, M8, K3, M13), I owned several over the years and still have a small collection. When I carry for comfort I always have my M8 in a Mitch Rosen rig, very discret and I hardly know I'm carrying it.
Others have said that it is heavy, as one would expect from an all steel handgun. I have owned several of the "plastic" autos and never had a desire to keep one long.

I disagree on the small hands comment. I cannot shoot a P226, Glock 20/21, or Beretta 92 comfortably, but the single stack P7 is perfectly fine for me, and I found it very comfortable in my small hands. I'm 5'5" myself.

Nice pistols great for concealed carry,i own HK P9S in 9mm,and the P7 M13 also in 9mm very accurate,if you are able to pick one up you cant go wrong,also if you go on The Arms Site you can read up on them.good luck

Top quality, accurate, reliable ... but heavy ... appreciates significantly. The squeeze cocker likely saved my partner's life when his weapon was taken by an assailant.

This has been discussed before - do a search here.
It is my carry; I bought 3 of the P7's just to get me through Thunder Ranch because yes, they do heat up after about 3 magazines. But it feels right, it's very accurate, great for small hands. Have a P7M13 too but its little too thick. My number one reason to carry - in my opinion there is absolutely no chance to have an ND with it. The biggest negative beside not being able to do numerous rapid fire drills - cleaning it takes about 5x as long as your average handgun because of that darn gas chamber. On a side comment, I had excellent service from H&K on one - about 3 weeks after purchase I had a firing pin bushing issue - they sent me a replacement part priority mail.