• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Weaponized math for 22

RALA

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2020
Indiana
I've read thru and understand how to use the Weaponized math charts for centerfire. Makes perfect sense. Gravity is a constant and you should believe what the rifle tells you on that day, and not rely solely on the calculator. In the write up it's mentioned that it can be scaled for a 22 and up. Has anyone done that for 22lr? What zero do you use 25 or 50 yards. what increment are the next steps?

• Love
Reactions: Enough Said
Or just go shoot your 22 and fill it out yourself. The whole point is to build the DOPE coefficients using your rig; the values in the pre-populated centerfire sheet are just suggested starting points.

Reactions: 308pirate
Yeah I could just go out and soot. That's how I've done it in the past. The beauty of Weaponized math is it make the process so much more efficient. If the data is tracking reasonably close, I know I'm still collecting good data and not been out in the sun too long.

The whole point of weaponized math is to give you a dope to start with (hence "Try Dope") if you have no idea what your velocity is, Frank goes as far as to say they don't use a chrony at all in their courses as you need to verify dope at all ranges anyway so why not just use weaponized math from the outset.

22lr is different that centrefire in that everyone is effectively using the same cartridge so the differences in velocity and BC are not as much between users as centrefire (consider 6mmCM, 308, 300prc etc). Thus you can just chuck some pretty generic data into a ballistic calculator (say 1050fps and .120 BC) and be close enough to get your try data.

In my experience the hardest thing with 22lr is trying to get an accurate BC value, with centrefire small differences in BC are difficult to notice for most people but small changes in an already very low BC make big changes. So truing rimfire is more difficult as you are trying to true both BC and velocity at the same time.

There are arguments to what range is best to zero your 22lr, if you can't zero on a windless day then opt for less range to reduce the wind error.
The reality is anything from 25m-50m is fine so whatever is easiest for you, with the caveat of wind.

BFFB182C-2FA7-4A75-A889-B6CAAFBE83BD.jpeg

Here’s my backfigured weaponized math based on Sk @1087.

Or like @beetroot said, ignore the math and just use the drops.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Good thread. Thanks for sharing the table.