• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question on zeroing canted base

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
Couldn't find anything by searching so, with a 20 moa base should I go down 20 moa on the scope before shooting? Going out to zero/test in the a.m. and do not want to waste too many rounds trying to zero.

Thanks

Re: Question on zeroing canted base

That's the general idea, assuming you were zero'd before.

If it's a bolt gun, just pull the bolt and bore sight it first. Should get you on a 8"x10" at least.

I'd just start all the way down. My zero is probably 4 moa from the bottom of my scope's travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd just start all the way down. My zero is probably 4 moa from the bottom of my scope's travel. </div></div>

why not bore sight it?

Everybody's got their own way of doing it.

Lowlight's method of using a feeler gauge to ensure the scope is level to the base works great. Then, for getting an intitial zero, I like to pull the bolt and drop the rifle into sandbags. Take a look down the barrel until I can see my target right in the middle of the rifling. Then adjust the scope for the same point of aim (more or less). Drop the bolt back in and send a couple downrange. Make adjustments as necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look down the barrel until I can see my target right in the middle of the rifling. Then adjust the scope for the same point of aim (more or less). Drop the bolt back in and send a couple downrange. Make adjustments as necessary. </div></div>

Just what I did and it only took 5 rounds to get it dialed in. Good stuff, thanks!