• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question or pole......

Longbow_06

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2005
GA-USA
Would you sell of other firearms to buy the rifle and glass that you want ?

I have a 700P in an AICS but it won't group worth a crap with FGMM 168's. Well... with anything to be quite honest. I've shot others, so I know the problem is the rifle.

Thanks...

Lee.

Re: Question or pole......

Since you have a good stock and a good action, I would blueprint and rebarrel.

Have you completely eliminated the scope, rings and base from the equation?

The 700P has a very good reputation for decent accuracy out of the box, though an occasional turd makes it through.

Personally, I would do a systematic check of everything to isolate the problem. If it is indeed the rifle, have it worked over. You would probably take a substantial hit on the sale, especially if you are honest with the buyer and told them of your accuracy problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you have a good stock and a good action, I would blueprint and rebarrel.

Have you completely eliminated the scope, rings and base from the equation?

The 700P has a very good reputation for decent accuracy out of the box, though an occasional turd makes it through.

Personally, I would do a systematic check of everything to isolate the problem. If it is indeed the rifle, have it worked over. You would probably take a substantial hit on the sale, especially if you are honest with the buyer and told them of your accuracy problems.
</div></div>

Yeah that's very odd that a 700P won't be sub-moa right out of the box. Not saying there aren't the occasional oddballs...

Did you bed the action? Not really sure you need to if it's AICS.

What kind of trigger pull does it have?

I'm going to run on the presumption that you are an experienced shoot, so aside from shooter error, maybe check the scope and rings like stated before.

Everything is torqued to spec. Tried the scope on a friends rifle and it was fine. It wouldn't group with the HS stock, so I got the AICS expecting better results. It was the same.

Lee.

How bad is this rifle grouping?

How did the 700 group before the stock change?

I have a 700 sps varmint, I did have it in a 700p take off stock (hs precision) and it grouped quite well for the money I had in it.

My sps varmint shot .75moa out of the box not even free floated. It got close to .5 moa with the hs precision, and I recently put a mcmillan a4 on it and its right at .5 moa.

I dont know the difference between the 700p barreled action and the sps varmint barreled action (I think the finish is different, thats it) but here is an article I consulted before purchasing my sps varmint and it is spot on. I dont know how good remingtons quality control is but I experienced almost the same sized groups. about .8 moa out of the box and .6 moa with the HS. But im not the greatest shooter in the world...

http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm