• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question Over Actions and Coatings

Jackie_Daytona

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2014
NE Florida
Hello All...new member, longtime reader.

I have a question to those owners/operators on Surgeon vs Templar actions. Before anyone face palms, I've done as much searching and research as I can, to no avail.

What I have determined is that, both actions are good and I couldn't go wrong with either. However, my question is which action accepts coatings better (cerakote, etc.).

I've read that the Templar actions have a little tighter tolerances over the Surgeons and, as a result, may not suit coatings as well. Anyone have experience with this?

The build I'm going for is a .300 WM that will be used in a competition/tactical-duty environment. As a result, I also have a little concern for the Templar action as to whether or not it would be more prone to binding from the tighter tolerances. What do you guys think?

Thanks for ya'lls time!

I just received my second Beanland 300WM build, 4-rounds down the tube so far. Both are built on Defiance Rebel (GAP calls it a Templar). First build I sent the bolt off and had it Nitrate finished (salt bath process). It's butter smooth, and I really like it. My latest build I had Jon Micro-Slick the bolt body. So far it doesn't appear to be very smooth at all, but I haven't lubed it yet either.
For a LA build, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Nitrate route, or what Jon did for me on my 6.5x47 build was to Cerikote the flutes, but left the bearing surface of the bolt body polished Stainless finish, and it's smooth as well.
My GAP rifles all have parkerized bolt body's, and they feel the same as the Cerikote a Micro-Slick. I've had other rifle bolts Cerikoted, and they did bind, even though they were Remington actions with a lot of slop, and the Cerikote eventually just wears off.
I can't comment on Surgeon actions as I've never owned one, but I'm sure they are just as good, just personal preference.

We Cerakote quite a few of both actions stated. I find that Defiance receivers have a tighter bolt to raceway tolerance and benefit from a little extra prep. We tape the contact areas in the receiver with bake proof tape and Cerakote the rest of the receiver and bolt as normal. Surgeons are coated without any special prep and run smooth every time.

Last edited:
I have had both. My Surgeon ran flawless through everything I put it through and would have no worries running another in a comp or patrol rifle. My currant Defiance Deviant is Melonited (salt bath nitrate) and is the slickest action I've ever felt.

Both of my actions were built by SAC and he offers a lower bolt clearance mod that will help both in terms of binding and smoothness.

If you have to have something with Cerakote due to work to help blend then go Surgeon, if you don't mind black go with the defiance and have it Melonited. You could also look into FDE Ionbond. It is only microns thick and super slick, I will have a trued 700 back soon with the Ionbond so I will let you know how it feels.

Thanks for all the great info. It seems like if I went with a thinner coating (IonBond, Melonite, etc.) the Templar action ought to suffice where as for thicker coatings, the Surgeon performs a little better and, at the very least, the Templar action will have to have additional prep. Any of you guys have experience with the Templar actions as far as practical field application? How do they hold up as far as debris getting into the action. I would assume that the Surgeon would do better in this application again, due to the lighter tolerances of the action.